distilled water

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ri
State/Location: NSW

distilled water

Post by ri »

G'day,
What a great way to communicate!
Can anyone inform me if there is a bulk supplier of distilled water in Sydney?
We are keen to have, say 50 litres in the prep room on standby without having to distill our own and waste all that lovely tap water in cooling the distillate.
Cheers,
~Robyn :?
Robb

Post by Robb »

Robyn,

Reputable Chem-Suppliers will have Dist.H2O in 2/4/10/20L containers. You can also contact these people and see if they can supply the Water in larger quantities. Sometimes Chemical Suppliers can do this. They usually only advertise the most popular pack sizes due to supply V's demand.

Check out good shopping retailers as they may stock distilled water. This may not necessarily be a cheaper option but compare prices before hand as this may save a few $$. (The shops supply 2L quantities normally).
Last edited by Robb on 22 Feb 2009, 23:52, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removal of Chem Suppliers Name and Title
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Presto

Post by Presto »

Hi
Livingstone School Supplies has a 20 litre bottle of distilled water for $28-00.
I hope this helps
Mary
Steph

Post by Steph »

We didn't like wasting all that water either, so have switched to a deioniser with a carbon filter in the line as well. This has worked very well since we began using it about 18 months ago. The model we bought was from Westlab in Ballarat (Victoria) and cost less than $1000 complete.
Cuishie
State/Location: WA

Distilled water

Post by Cuishie »

Hi everyone, I too am looking for a supplier of distilled water here in western australia as I think the waste of water in the cooling process is too excessive in our waterwise communities now.
Thanks
Leanne
aude
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Maitland

Post by aude »

Hi,
We buy our distilled water through Blackwoods Pty Ltd. They are in most larger cities. 20 litre drums costs approx. $30.00.
Hope this is useful
DA

Post by DA »

DISTILLED WATER - 20L CONTAINERS CAN BE DELIVERED WHENEVER YOU REQUIRE THEM FOR $9.50 EACH (there is a small deposit for the initial containers and then they pick them up when they deliver the next one) Very reliable - REFRESH PURE WATER, 3 SALISBURY STREET, SILVERWATER 2128 PHONE: 9748-4200 FAX: 9748-4366
Robb

Cartridge Filtration

Post by Robb »

Although costly, Cartridge filtration can be a more viable asset in relation to having distilled H2O on hand, particularly when Water restrictions are becoming more dominant.

Maintenance costs can play small part, after all replacement cartridges will need to be purchased and the initial set up cost can also be a deterrent.

Although having said that, to make a significant environmental change schools may have to implement this cost to allow for this.
Last edited by Robb on 22 Feb 2009, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subscript Missing
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

ri

Bulk distilled water

Post by ri »

Many thanks to Denise Armstrong from Mitchell High School, Blacktown for her valuable tip on a bulk distilled water supplier.
We have just taken a very prompt delivery from Refresh Pure Water, 3 Salisbury Street, Silverwater of a 20 litre container (with tap) of distilled water. (Phone no. 02 9748 4200)
The cost was $11 for the water and $12 for the container. When we need a new supply we do not have to pay again for a container.
The water has a pH of 7 and shows no reaction to 0.1M Silver nitrate.
Looking good!
Thanks again, Denise.
~Robyn :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

My water supply at home is a polythene rainwater tank. The conductivity of this water is exceedingly low at 26 uS. Distilled water can vary from below 1 to 10 microSeimens. Compare this to the town water in Goulburn at 810 uS! Water of conductivity 26uS is perfectly adequate for virtually any application in a school environment. So our school has free "distilled water".
Wombat
Robb

Rain Water

Post by Robb »

Hi Wombat, It is lucky that you have rain water supply that only gives the conductivity range around 26uS. Modulab or Ultra Pure water can give results of around 0.5 to 0.01uS depending on whether the final ion transfer cartridge filter has been in use for some time. This equipment is very expensive.

The location would also give an advantage as for reduced particulate fallout as well. If you were to live near power stations like ourselves then the conductivity and particulate matter would be greater for obvious reasons.
University of Newcastle.

franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Re: Distilled water

Post by franco »

Cash & Carry (formerly FAL) Balcatta, WA, sell Anchor distilled (deionised)water for $6.43 (ex GST) per 15L cask. The cask is the same as those used for "Chateau Cardboard" wine. Advantages are that they're cheap, portable, greatly reduce wastage and are much harder for students to contaminate.
PhysicsOne

Post by PhysicsOne »

Nobles ultra pure water from Woolies supermarket. In 10 or 5 litre pack. Costs about 70cents a litre. It has a low conductivity. I use this when making 1M silver nitrate and it is perfectly clear (no cloudiness).
DJ

Post by DJ »

Hi Y'all,

I've just recently compared the prices of distilled water from the different Science suppliers. Then I rang Woolworths and asked them the cost of their demineralised water (is there a difference between distilled and demineralised water THAT MATTERS to us Science Tecchies?) and found they sell 2L bottles for $1.35. That's a MAJOR difference in price, isn't it! That's how I'll be getting it in the future.

It's nice to meet you all. I'm the 'new kid on the block' as far as this website is concerned. But I've been Lab Assisting for about 14 years now.

Question: How come I've been classed as a 'Lab Attendant', as opposed to a 'Lab Assistant'? I'm an assistant, but I don't know how to correct this.

Regards,
DJ ;-)
chery

Post by chery »

I have a water deionizer purifier that cost us around $500 ,it distills about 2.5 litres per day but I find that if I put it on when I get to work that it has finished by the time I leave at 3.30pm, so I then put another lot on and when I return in the morning I just start the process again.

I bought two 20litre containers and store the water in these. If you calulate the cost of purchasing the deionizer and the cost of buying your water I think you will agree that it is a much better option to buy your own machine and distill it each day.

It doesnt take any time to build up your supply and the cost maybe expensive upfront but in the long run you will save yourself a fortune.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Distilled water! (again)

Post by Ian »

Hi all.
I am new to this Website this week, but was interested to read the forum on Distilled Water. This is relevant to me at the moment as our distillation machine seems to be malfunctioning and only produces about 2L per day, but uses about 12-15L per minute for cooling! (Ouch!)

I have found that the local IGA store sells both Distilled water, and Denmineralised water, both for about $1.45 per 2L bottle. (good! Mitre 10 wanted to charge me $3.10 for iL!!)

I have tested both for conductivity with the Streamwatch conductivity probe thingie and got 0 uS for each. (compared to 170 uS for Warragamba tap water) Both give a crystal clear solution when I add AgNO3 (compared do white soup with tap water) but when I tested for pH using the "Precision" pH testing strips, with the four coloured squares to compare, the Distilled water registered as pH 5.5, and the Demineralised came up as pH 5 (compared to Sydney tap water which was spot on pH 7!!)

Can anybody tell me why Distilled water would have a pH of 5.5 instead of 7 and more importantly, does it really matter? (My Chem teacher is planning on doing titrations this term with his senior classes and I want everything to be right.)

Regards
Ian
kate1

Post by kate1 »

I've been told that distilled water is slightly acidic because it absorbs carbon dioxide from the air. Our distilled water has a low pH too.
Robb

Distilled Water - High pH

Post by Robb »

Hi Ian,

The thing we have to remember with distilled water is that there are no ions in it as pure H2O.

Having said that because of this there is always absorbtion of Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere which then dissolves in the Dist. Water to give slight concentrations of Carbonic Acid. This explains the reason behind the slight High pH 5 - 5.5. This is quite normal..

Hope this has stopped any confusion.

Cheers,

Robb....
University of Newcastle.

KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Hi you can adjust the pH with a buffered base solution if you really want ph 7

Kim
Robb

Distilled Water

Post by Robb »

Hi KimFenley,

pH ranges between 5-7.5 maybe 8 will be normal in lost cases. if you are making up accurate solutions make sure there is nothing added to your Distilled Water stock, otherwise this may have an effect of final concentrations.

Just something to keep in mind!

Cheers,

Robb...........
University of Newcastle.