Hot plate

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lfn
State/Location: NSW

Hot plate

Post by lfn »

Hi everyone,
I really need your advice about hotplate #-o Although before each prac I told teachers to remind students make sure hot plate cable isn't in contact with hot plate surface but IT DIDN'T WORK AT ALL :oops: I asked electrician to make cable shorter but it didn't work again .I searched for some external heat resistant cable also called Serrata but I couldn't find anything.
Does anyone have any idea to solve this problem or does anyone have specific hot plate which at least has an insulating outside of hot surface?
Thanks
PhysicsOne

Re: Hot plate

Post by PhysicsOne »

I am not sure if this is what you are after? You can get cable shroud that helps against heat: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/auto ... d-sleeving
Or perhaps have the cable in a straight piece of conduit so that it can't get near to the hotplate surface.
lfn

Post by lfn »

Thanks for your help. I found silicon rubber cable which is better than PVC cable and it doesn't melt up to 300 C.
Thanks
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

Here we leave the hot plates in the lab to cool down and I go in later to collect them. All the Teachers know this and if they walk in to find hot plates left on the benches , I know why. They often send students in with them once they have cooled down for me
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

My hotplates have a removable cord which is pretty much a universal type, same as the power packs etc. So if they get damaged I can just replace it rather than pay to have the entire hotplate repaired, not much help until you start replacing your existing ones though.