new courses and training for labies

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Terry
State/Location: NSW

new courses and training for labies

Post by Terry »

Can anyone help us with info on lab tech training or any courses that new lab assistants can attend in the western sydney area.( for a new labie). Also would like to know how you find out about any SASS inservice. we don't get a lot of info passed on to us here.
Thanks
Terry
ri

New courses and training for labbies

Post by ri »

Hi,
Back in the early 1990's there was a 2-year, one night a week course at Granville TAFE called the "Science Lab Attending Course". It was a very handy course covering all that Science Lab Assistants and Technicians are asked to do and provide - Biology, Geology, Chemistry, etc. It might be worth contacting them to see if it is still run?
Cheers,
~Robyn
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi All

I did that same course (Science Laboratory Attending) at Bankstown Tafe in 1990 and 1991. I did the course externally as I was living in country NSW at the time. I had to complete a week of prac at the tafe each year. I think they are still offering it. I recommend it I just wish I could remember everything now.

Cheers Nicky :roll:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Terry
I know that TAFE run a certificate III in School Assistant- in Science. It isnt offered at all campuses, Newcastle run it as far as others ???, Give your local TAFE a call or look on line (should be there). As far as I know it is the same course offered back in the 90's, just the name has changed, hope this has been helpful
regards
Lisa :-)
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

In 2005 I finished a 2 year Science and Administration course through the Department of Education and Training at my College here.It was done through TAFE and you will be accredited and the Certificate is recognised throughout Australia.(Will look great on your CV!!!) This certificate 111 in Education Support -School Assistant also includes strands:Science/Admin./IT/Library & Food and Hospitality. So any school assistant in a school can apply to undertake any one of these courses on offer.
My course was done by distance education through Parkes TAFE Campus.Best of all the Dept. pays for this course!!!No expense to you.Any enquiries should be directed to your SAM. Failing this, speak to your Principal.The course could now be renamed I'm not sure. It is a Department of Education and Training initiative,so your Principal should know about it!!If he doesn't ask him to find out!!!
Hope this is of help to you
Cheers
Mother
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

If you are a state Govenment school your Senior administration officer will have all the relevant information for certificate 111 through TAFE NSW. It is also their responsability to ensure you and other SASS staff are kept fully up to date with ALL courses that you are entitled to. The school does have funding for this and you are fully entitled to attend if you are permanent of even full time casual. I Know, I'm an ex senior. An old school of mine spent the funding elsewhere and we missed out (and we were kept in the dark for some time as to lack of courses offered to us) so keep at them. Certificate 3 at TAFE being the most popular at this stage. Contact Jan Dowsett on (02) 9242 1727 if it interests you. I've heard that they are wanting to make it mandatory within the next 2 years, but interest seems high enough as it is.

Hope this helps.
Richard :lol:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi,

I believe the "Traineships" are for all SASS in DET schools. Check with the Principal of your school. You will do a small amount of Admin work, and then Science.

Good Luck

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

I am in my second year of Cert 111. It is classed as a Traineeship and is fully funded by the government. It doesn't cost the school any $$$ just your time off to attend training, 2 days a term.
I even have a travel concession pass. I thought it was a joke when I received application so I filled it out and within 2 weeks had received my pass.
I can highly recommend the course but also watch out for any other science related Inservices or workshops or network groups in your area.
If anyone wants to be added to an email network group just send your name and email address to me
margaret.croucher@lasalle.bankstown.syd.catholic.edu.au
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Science Assistants courses

Post by Labbie »

pommy wrote:Hi,

I believe the "Traineships" are for all SASS in DET schools. Check with the Principal of your school. You will do a small amount of Admin work, and then Science.

Good Luck

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: