Chem store vents

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
mazza
State/Location: NSW

Chem store vents

Post by mazza »

Hi all
Can anyone give me advice on whom they use to clean chemical store room vents, my chem store vents are clogged with dirt and dust.
I don't think that it would be a good idea to clean them without appropriate PPE such as a respirator.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Mazza
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Chem store vents

Post by Merilyn1 »

Check with the people that service your fume cupboard.
mazza

Post by mazza »

Thanks for the reply but no one services the fume cupboards!
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

I think that NOT having the fume cupboards serviced might fail the OH&S test. I haven't had the extractor fans cleaned but the fume cupboards are done every 12 months. Must check with the technician next year about the fans.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

mazza wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 12:45 Thanks for the reply but no one services the fume cupboards!
You need to get onto this straight away. They should be tested every 12 months - pretty sure this is from an Australian Standard, not sure which one, maybe look on Science Assist? Check with your HT or WHS person about arranging a service.
Just be careful when organising, some companies will automatically slot you in for 6 monthly servicing. This is recommended but probably for higher use situations. 12 month servicing is fine for schools.
mazza

Post by mazza »

Fume cupboards are tested every 12 months checked that the light and fan works but not serviced.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

mazza wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 10:38 Fume cupboards are tested every 12 months checked that the light and fan works but not serviced.
Do you do the check, or does the fume cupboard company come out and do it?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Does you GA General Assistant, or Ground man want ever you call him, do that sort of thing, or ask if the cleaners will do it?
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
mazza

Post by mazza »

An electrical contractor does is it O'Donnell Hanlan I think
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Fume cupboards need to be checked every 6 months under the Australian Standard. Personally for schools I think this is an overkill and 12 months would be fine, but 6 months is what the standard says.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

linotas wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 13:56 Fume cupboards need to be checked every 6 months under the Australian Standard. Personally for schools I think this is an overkill and 12 months would be fine, but 6 months is what the standard says.
Without looking it up, I think there are terms like "should" and "must", from memory. So I think it says they "should be checked every 6 months" and they "must be checked every 12 months". A bit of legal-ese, but the "must" is what needs to be followed.
Given the amount they are used and what we are using in them (i.e. doing the risk assessment), a few of us up this way went to 12 month servicing.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

I clean the chem store vents just the same way as I clean the fan vents at home. Chemicals in the store room are in closed containers and it really is just ordinary dust. No respirator required, in my view.
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Fume Hood should be checked every 12 months. We just have a guy arrive and checks it annually. But I must say one has been not working since the day I started which is over 18 years ago and every year they take a photo and say we will organise for it to be fixed. It now is a ongoing laugh as when they arrive I say oh do you want last years photo as nothing has changed.
But I have a second one so it is no a major issue, just funny how every year we get the exact same report.