cheap faulty gauze mats

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
JenW
State/Location: WA

cheap faulty gauze mats

Post by JenW »

Has anyone tried the new gauze mats from westlab that are advertised here? Last year I had to dispose of all my old ceramic gauze mats due to the risk of asbestos contamination (WA education dept directive) and replaced them with cheap plain wire mesh ones. They do not disperse the heat evenly and beakers end up with a black spot on the base which is hard to remove (and students are using the blue flame). Also some beakers break due to the uneven heating. I would love to hear of anyones experience in the more expensive ones from Westlab before purchasing them
thank you
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Re: cheap faulty gauze mats

Post by Wayne »

I ordered some last week, but still waiting for them to arrive.
supreet
State/Location: VIC

Post by supreet »

hi, i ordered some from science supply. we had the same problem. uneven heating causing black bases and breakages. so i covered one side of the wiregauzes with double layer of Aluminium foil. We have had one class use them so far and we had no breakage or black bases. I am waiting for other classes to try them so we can find out if the method is any good.
Smithy73
State/Location: NSW

Post by Smithy73 »

Wayne wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 07:52 I ordered some last week, but still waiting for them to arrive.
Hi Wayne,

Have your mats arrived? if so how are they?

Carolyn
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

No, they haven't. I think I should chase them up.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

Wayne wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 09:32 No, they haven't. I think I should chase them up.
Gee, Wayne, surely they would have told you there'd be a delay with international shipping - they probably think Tasmania is overseas :cheesy:
Westlab
State/Location: VIC

Post by Westlab »

JenW wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 16:32 Has anyone tried the new gauze mats from westlab that are advertised here? Last year I had to dispose of all my old ceramic gauze mats due to the risk of asbestos contamination (WA education dept directive) and replaced them with cheap plain wire mesh ones. They do not disperse the heat evenly and beakers end up with a black spot on the base which is hard to remove (and students are using the blue flame). Also some beakers break due to the uneven heating. I would love to hear of anyones experience in the more expensive ones from Westlab before purchasing them
thank you
Hi Jen,

We are currently working on version 2 of these gauze mats to improve heat distribution and minimise black stains on glassware.

Wayne, I want to apologise for the delay on receiving your order. Please email me directly to luciano.devoto@westlab.com.au if still experiencing delays. Your location should not be an issue!

- Luc