A general discussion and Q & A forum.
dutchyduggan
Job Title: Lab assistant
School: Wagga Christian College
Suburb: wagga wagga
State/Location: NSW

Inventory of equipment

Post by dutchyduggan »

I'm not sure if this is discussed recently I only found a post of 2014. But was hoping someone could help me.
So its inventory time and we have all our equipment in a excel spread sheet and each year I go through the list and update where needed. I'm sure there is an easier way.
Is there an app we can use or a program on the computer to make life easier.
Also we are a smaller school and go from kinder to yr 12. Equipment gets borrowed a lot all over school. which i'm ok with but sometimes I lose track where things go to because I'm only here 3 days a week and not everything gets written down when im not there.
Can some of you let me know how you are all doing these things. Just finding a way to improve it all and make it more effective.

I don't caer if there is a little work involved of getting it set up but with all the technology these days there must be a better way.

Thanks!!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Inventory of equipment

Post by Merilyn1 »

I'm still using the spreadsheet system. I'm yet to come up with a better system with the resources I have. Would also be interested in hearing if anyone has anything better.
As for equipment being borrowed quite difficult when you're only there part time. Even being here 5 days week is no guarantee that things won't get "borrowed". I write "Science" on everything I possibly can so hoping to play on peoples' honesty - ha!
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

Still a spread sheet here too, but would love a technology advancement :).
As for borrowing we require a Risk Assessment to be completed to use our equipment. I am only 2 days a week. So far a risk assessment has been done on most cases.
Merry Christmas as tomorrow is my last day for the year!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I've attached mine if your interested can change around to suit, every time something is broken or replaced I change number, price etc., great for my replacement when I'm on long service leave, she can find everthing.
Science staff go through Risk Assess so not helping themself, non-science have to ask the coordinator before borrowing. Non science staff don't have keyed access so it makes it a lot easier to keep track of everything. Anything taken off school grounds has to go through the business manager. Once a year gets emailed through to business manager for Asset register and insurance.

Years ago there was talk about puting a bar code on all major items, scanning in and out. But never happened.

Have a great christmas everyone.
Science Equipment 2019.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prima

Post by Prima »

Nice, Macca!
Matt_Coffs

Post by Matt_Coffs »

Our IT guy turned my spreadsheet into a database a few years ago. main advantage is the improved ability to search with key words and add pictures and electronic copies of instruction sheets etc.

We have a notebook titled "Who has what" and everything that gets lent out around the schools goes in there and signed off when it returns. It makes getting things back at the end of term or year much easier.
dutchyduggan
School: Wagga Christian College
Suburb: wagga wagga

Post by dutchyduggan »

Thanks all,

And I might have a chat to our IT guy, didn't think of aksing him. Thanks Matt_Coffs. And my spreadsheet is simular to yours Macca. If I ever find something that will work I will let you all know!
Happy hollidays everyone. 3 more days to go for me!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

@ Macca , that is an awesome inventory you have created .It is amazing how all those bits and pieces add up .

@Matt_Coffs . What data base do you use ?/ I'm wanting to do something like that too ..I especially like the idea of adding pics . That's one thing that XL won't do . (Well you can add pics but not lock them to a cell)