Magnets

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School
State/Location: NSW

Magnets

Post by shellythenewlabby »

Hello everyone...I am looking at purchasing good bar magnets. The last 2 lots we have bought have not been strong enough so have sent them back..Does anyone know of a supplier that has good magnets..Thnaks
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Magnets

Post by Merilyn1 »

I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.
shellythenewlabby

Merilyn1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:35 I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.
Do you know what company you brought them from Merilyn1?
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I've bought from AMF and the magnets are great.....and their customer service is excellent!
Liz
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

shellythenewlabby wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:37
Merilyn1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:35 I've found the IEC ones are quite good. I've ordered more of these and am waiting on them. Also, one of my teachers wanted a certain type of magnet and found a company, AMF Magnetics that have a huge range, although don't know the quality but suspect they may be better than some of the cheaper "school-type" ones.
Do you know what company you brought them from Merilyn1?
From Haines - they're described as Magnets, Alnico 75mm, Strong.
shellythenewlabby

ELIZABETH wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:44 I've bought from AMF and the magnets are great.....and their customer service is excellent!
Liz
Hi Liz, are these the ones you got https://magnet.com.au/alnico-block-magn ... x-5mm.html
thanks
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Yes, Shelley, I've bought those and their neodymium magnets; both are good quality and value.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Good to get this info. The last lot of bar magnets I bought are absolutely hopeless so I have been reluctant to purchase more.
Kathryn :)
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

You can remagnetise old magnets with the neodymium magnets. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I saw it on YouTube. Maybe it'll work to strengthen the dodgy ones too. You can only try.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Marama T wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 11:58 You can remagnetise old magnets with the neodymium magnets. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I saw it on YouTube. Maybe it'll work to strengthen the dodgy ones too. You can only try.
Yes it does work . We have a special re-magnetizer . it is a neodymium magnet moulded into a plastic handle .Just got to be careful which way you stroke the old bars otherwise you can make them the wrong polarity .
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

ELIZABETH wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 10:44 I've bought from AMF and the magnets are great.....and their customer service is excellent!
Liz
Hi Elizabeth, if you're still here on this site, I'm just wondering how these magnets turned out? I'm looking at buying some from the magnet.com.au website and jumped on here to see if anyone else has tried them.

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

We bought circular (donut shaped magnets) and they were really good. The IEC ones I bought last year are doing a great job. I'm not sure how prices compare between the AMF and the IEC ones but I would guess they would be a similar quality.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I have just bought more bar magnets, our ancient ones are almost useless.
I can highly recommend MTA - https://www.teaching.com.au/product/SER1091007A
Great price, too, but bear in mind that they are super strong!
Last year I bought a few sets of the IEC bar magnets from Scientrific, also good. Each pair came in a plastic specimen jar. I have been keeping those ones for Seniors only, although the MTA magnets are just as strong, if not stronger