A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga
State/Location: NSW

Dishwashers

Post by Loopy »

Hi Everybody!
I was wondering if any of you use a dishwasher and if so what sort is it and do you have any recommendations on what to look for and stuff like that. As my school is only four years old, the upper echilons had allowed for a dishwasher in my prep room and have decided (after me cutting my hand and requiring four stitches) that now is a pretty good time to get one - I just have to find a reasonably priced model and be confident in it's efficiency etc. Can anyone provide advice? :roll:
Regards,
Lou P.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Dishwashers

Post by Slartibartfast »

We have 2x Simpson Silencio 850's here at Wadalba Community School in the science prep rooms. They have a 4 star energy rating - 558kw per year and have racks in them specially for laboratory glassware. Very good indeed.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Good morning Richard!
Thanks for your reply. Could I ask where did you get your dishwashers from and how did you get the racks specially for lab glassware? Do you know the amount of water used in a cycle? What do you use for powder? And (please excuse my ignorance) where does "Slartibartfast" come from?
Cheers,
Lou P. :)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

The machines were ordered from Q stores letting them know that they were intended for a laboratory - hence the trays were substituted for regular kitchen ones. We use Finish powder and sometimes the powerball for heavy cleaning. I'm not sure of the volume of water they use but they're only used if a full load can be done, handwashing any other time is used. Slartibartfast comes from the Douglas Adams Sci Fi trillogy "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy." He was a character that designed countries like Norway as he liked doing the fiddly bits called fyords. My avatar is of him from that series. One of the funniest series of books you could hope to read. :grin:
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
joh

Post by joh »

Dear Loopy, We have a Dishlex dishwasher. I've been here 6 years and I think the dishwasher was here a few more years before that.
In my time here, I've only had to fix it once - and I use it every day.

I'm not sure about cost and energy ratings - bur it's a good brand.

I had a dishlex at home too that lasted over 10 years.

I hope this helps. :grin:
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa

Post by pkij »

We refurbised here two years ago, with three new labs and two prep rooms. I made sure of three things, hot water (I had to boil kettle to wash up before), a deep sink (and the architect asked me why I would need that!) and a dishwasher. The one we purchased was an Electrolux - dishlex, purchased from a local retravision store (they gave us a small discount) and I made sure it was one where the racks could be laid down to accomodate large glassware or put extra baskets in for small item. Works well and sure beats washing up :-)
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Thanks everyone, I shall go forth and invesigate these models. You all really have been a great help.
Cheers, Lou P.