A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Junket!!

Post by Ian »

I don't know if any of you are doing Junket in Senior Biology at the moment, but it is realted to the other enzyme pracs that the whole State seems to be doing at the moment.

Having searched high and low for Junket tablets, in several Woolies, Coles and Bi Lo stores,(I have easy acces to 3 Woolies, 2 Coles and a Bi-Lo) I finally was able to track down little bottles of powdered Junket enzyme at IGA. I was told by the lady at Bi Lo that the manufacturer would not sell to Woolies and Coles and that IGA was the ONLY place that it was available from.

So, if you are looking for Junket, save youself some time and go straight to IGA! (and support the "Under dog" at the same time! (I didn't get to ALDI, so cant say if they have it)

regards
Ian :)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Junket!!

Post by Labbie »

Perhaps a search in Chemtalk, may enlighten you. Junket, was taken off the shelves at one time. Junket can now be purchased at Health Food stores, Naturopaths, IGA Supermarkers. I have a fryer, should you wish to have a copy.

Please let me have your fax number. :coffee:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

You can also get it from 'simply junket' in SA. If you google it, you'll find them. Or just go to simplyjunket.com.au and that's them. We have an IGA just down the road and that was the only place I didn't try looking for it! I ended up gettting some from Tamworth High (thanks Liz!) and have done a mail order to replace it. I don't know how the web prices compare the the shops though, and I haven't been down to our local IGA to check.
Rosalie
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi All

Junket from Simply Junket costs $6.00 for 10gm vial
$11.00 for 2 * 10gm vials
$55.00 for 150gm bag.

I think it is 1 teaspoon = 1 tablet.

That was the going price in February this year. They are very quick with the delivery as well.

Hope this helps.
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I paid $8.99 from IGA for a 15g vial (which sounds comparable). Actually, the IGA stuff is "Simply Junket" too.
It says to use 1/4 teaspoon full to set 500mL of milk. (I think it will last a while)
How does that compare in terms of usage rates? How much milk does 1 tablet set?

regards
Ian
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I worked out 0.5g equals one tablet (10g tube = 20 tablets). The prices must have gone up because I just paid $13 for 2x 10g tubes (including postage). Still seems like a pretty good deal considering we only use such a small amount each year. These 2 tubes should last for ages!
Rosalie
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I've just bought 2x10g vials from Simply Junket for $13. They arrived within a week of ordering. :)
Their blurb says that 10g is equivalent to 17 tablets, which is good because our brand new biology teacher (fresh off the conveyor belt this year) used up our stock of 8 tablets with one class. #-o
He'll know better next time - the senior biology teacher was livid!!

Carol
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Southern Biological also supply junket (code: MC23.85) 10gms for just under $10. Not sure if it appears in their current catalogue as it is a fairly new addition.

Cheers Trudy
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

I see a few of you are using junket for the enzyme prac. We have just finished this prac. and we used liver(lamb's fry from the supermarket) for all three sections being: Temperature,PH and Substrate.This prac. is a bit messy but if you use large test tubes that can be overcome.
However it took longer than our double period.Each period is 40 mins.duration. Have used junket in the past-sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't depending on how patient the students were!!! Most times they just had to shake the test tube to see if it was set and of course it separated didn't it!!! Anyway everyone is finished doing the prac. with success, and I can now keep my hands out of water, for a while at least.
Cheers
Mother
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

Hi all fellow labbies :D
GOOD NEWS - I purchased JUNKET tablets from Woolworths - country location - yesterday
the brand is Hansells Junket tablets - they come from "old Fashioned Foods (Australia) P O Box 4018 Milperra NSW DC 1891 For customer feedback 1800 280 001
=D> Nice to see that they are back on the shelves.
SGG

Post by SGG »

Yes I had heard that the tablets were back in WW stores. I have been getting the junket powder (Simply Junket brand) from Franklins supermarkets for the last 2 years. Don't know whether I will go back to the tablets - they had to use mortar and pestles to crush them so - more washing up! Also they seemed to use lots of tablets where with the powder they only get the measured dose. Seems to work ok as long as they don't dilute it too much (substitute head teacher/ biology teacher found that out this morning!).
Regards
Sue G
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

After years of liver, junket tablets, egg white, blah, blah, we had a go with catalase and amalase last year with reasonable sucess. Now the three bio teachers :w00t: :crazy: 8O want to try milk and rennin. As I had trouble buying junket before, I've bought rennet from Southern Bio at $5.50 for 20mL (cheaper option I thought), and we are all set for tomorrow.
Could anyone tell me how they manage the pH part, as we always have the problem of the milk curdling with low pH.
Cheers, Ellice 8)
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Just a reminder to all of you lovely labbies out there.
USE FULL CREAM MILK!!!!!!!
Cheers
Mother
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Long Life Full cream milk works!!
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

I bought 15g from IGA yesterday @ $9.70.
It wasn't on the shelf and was kept....can you believe.......UNDER THE COUNTER WITH THE CIGARETTES !!
Makes you wonder what is in it huh ? :-o
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

OK that's just weird! :oops:
Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Thats so expensive!! The junket tablets are 12 tablets and the pack was 9g and cost $2.99. Mind you tha tablets contain more than just rennin. They also have salt, calcium lactate, corn starch, tricalcium phosphate and calcium stearate. The rennin is the 5th ingredient so there is obviously not a lot in a tablet that weighs about 0.75g.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Ah the ongoing saga with junket!

The reason the junket tablets were taken off the shelves from talking to IGA staff 2 years ago was that the tablets were being used as a base for illegal drugs . Who would have thought. 8O

Now why the powder is kept behind the counter I can't tell you but good to hear that the tablets are back on the shelves. :D I found the powder didn't work as well as the tablets plus more expensive.

Rosemary
SGG

Post by SGG »

I wonder if the IGA staff were confusing it with something else? I rang the company who made the junket tablets years ago when I was having difficulty finding the tablets. The company and WW, Coles had decided the sales were not big enough to produce junket anymore. A group of employees of the company (I spoke to one) started up "Simply Junket" to produce the junket but could only do the powder as they did not have the facilities to press it into tablets. They also had to find alternative outlets to WW and Coles (hence Healthfood stores, IGA and Franklins)and initially only sold it through mail order!
Regards
Sue G
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Good morning

In woolworths Narellan, NSW, the Junket tablets are again available, 12 tablets for under $3 (Hansells Junket Tablets 9g). they are also available via their online store @ $3.22.
Hope this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Sharon