Support structure

for anything else that doesn't fit.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Support structure

Post by sunray18 »

Hi everyone, I have become so aware in the past months that many of us are working in very difficult situations where the teaching staff and executive are treating the labtechs really badly. We work alone - so we have no one to help us, to talk with, to give moral and emotional support when this is happening.I have seen how admin staff close ranks if one of their own is threatened.
And I am angry and really disappointed in how useless the Union has been in each situation. I have rung them on behalf of others, I have spoken to the top in the union - and nothing good has come from that. They have a conflict of interest I think because they represent all staff at a school so how can they support both sides of a situation? I have witnessed how they take a stand with management - and we get left out in the cold.

IS there any support structures that anyone knows to help each and every one of us when we find ourselves in this situation?

I was in this a few years ago - and stupidly went to the local priest, who advised that I went to another priest, and that wasn't a good move because they both have been named and shamed - and I had no idea at the time

So - is there somewhere , someone that we can approach for some actual assistance, advise as to legal issues and emotional support
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Support structure

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have yet to join the union, never got around to it. I worked in an industry previously that was non-unionised and never had a problem so am not in the habit of sending money to someone. Your story doesn't put a good case to join the union because shouldn't they be providing those services? When I get time, I'll PM you.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Is this any help?
https://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/workhealt ... being/eaps
Strictly Department based, and I have no idea if it is of any use, but might be worth a try.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Oh Sunray, that is so very awful, you know we support you 100%, but it is harder on a computer, look for the laughing dog it has my mobile number on it. Please ring if that helps. Also you may have a region support team. We have one in Liverpool, but again it is mixed Science and admin etc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

J is that the employee assistance people? Thru the DoE
If it is, I can recommend it.
Hubby, when working in private sector, used their version on if to gain access to counselling services.

We have been advised her to use it, encouraged to use it.
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

I am sorry that you had to suffer alone. :console: I feel that the Union thinks it would be supportive and unbiased but I think that if you don't go to them before the other party then they may take sides. Our delegate said no way but feel they might be swayed by status (teacher) over labbie and by seniority. I try to record any situations and conversations I feel don't contribute to not just my own well being but also that of the school and staff. We all deserve a safe workplace and to be treated with respect and decency.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

What system are you in? The IEU down here is very supportive of Lab techs and fight for our rights. I have personally had an issue resolved by them in the past (issue regarding yard duty requirements) I know the AEU come along to our conferences as well but unsure how effective they are for their members. They work closely with the local IEU so I am assuming operate similarly.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Narelle01 wrote:J is that the employee assistance people? Thru the DoE
If it is, I can recommend it.
Hubby, when working in private sector, used their version on if to gain access to counselling services.

We have been advised her to use it, encouraged to use it.
Yes, Narelle, I think that is what this is. I have never had the need to use it, but we are encouraged to do so if we have issues.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Have you been in contact with ASET NSW? They may have some ideas on where you can go / who you can contact for help & support. And because they are only for labbies there shouldn't be any conflict of interest going on.
:console:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Good idea. I wonder if there is someone from ASET who is reading all this and can offer some suggestions?
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

This makes me so cranky - a labtech who has been harassed for 8 months by her HOD, who called the IEU for assistance, but they were of no use whatsoever,, has had to resign to save her sanity.. How does it get this bad? Who is there out there who we can go to. She tried to get a solicitor to assist her in meetings, but none of the ones she contacted would touch it because the Church school system can ruin a solicitor AND they have big pockets... where is OUR backup OUR support - and most of all where is there evidence of the "Catholic ethos" in this situation and similar, and in their dealing with the lower 'class' of employees.... grrrrrrrrrr.. I am not an angry person, but I get furiously indignant where there is injustice..
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We hear you Sunray, their must be some one out there.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: