CONASTA 63

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

CONASTA 63

Post by dss8386 »

Hey all Labbies,

Anyone planning on going to CONASTA 63 in Adelaide. I have just been approved and will definitely be there.

Cant wait to meet all the other labbies throughout Australia.

Dave
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown
State/Location: NSW

Re: CONASTA 63

Post by smeee »

Hi Dave
I am going so will be good to have a catch up. Its a great opportunity to network with colleagues from other states
dss8386

Post by dss8386 »

Hi Margaret,

It should be a great time. Adelaide has some great venues. In the 20 years I lived in Adelaide I have never been to Adel Uni or Adel Town hall. Cant wait!

Although I am not looking forward to the horrible cold.

See ya there!

Dave
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Im going too, never been to Adelaide before. Like you David Im not looking forward to the cold. So spoilt up here in winter. See you there
dss8386

Post by dss8386 »

Hey Nicky,

Adelaide's a strange place, has some really cool arcades and old buildings. Whilst your there, I would recommend having a look at ST Peters Cathedral behind Adelaide oval. Such a beautiful old church. My parents keep saying how cold it is. It won't get any warmer than about 16C and will be below 10C at night. Brrrr I don't even own a jumper.
We are so spoilt up here in winter.

Will you be going to the Lab Tech dinner?

See you there
smeee

Post by smeee »

One good thing about Adelaide is that it is FLAT !!
See you at the Lab Tech dinner
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Hi Guys

Can I have some feedback on what your thoughts are about CONASTA 63. Apart from the bitter cold weather.....
Im just curious to know if you thought it was all worthwhile.
dss8386

Post by dss8386 »

Hi Nicky,

It was my first CONASTA and I really enjoyed it. The weather was terrible but that's Adelaide for ya. I got a lot out of it and caught up with my old boss, old college teacher and some of the reps I deal with so it was a great way to network.

The only issues I had was trying to find my way around Adelaide Uni but eventually worked it out. The other issue I had was it was jammed packed. Early mornings, late nights and by the end of it I was exhausted but thoroughly enjoyed it and I definitely will be going to CONASTA 65 in QLD!!

Dave
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

David what workshops did you go to?

The workshops I attended left me a bit dissappointed.....
And the 2 keynote speakers I really wanted to hear were not there unfortunately
smeee

Post by smeee »

Overall I thought CONASTA workshops were some of the best I have attended over the years.
The weather wasn't the greatest but managed to stay dry. Lots of walking between buildings.
Brought back lots of new ideas and resources from the workshops...
Luminosity
Promoting Engagement in Science ( made some raspberry flavoured gello shots ! )
The magic is science
Spicing up year 7 science
Keep calm, keep curious - turning food for thought into thought for food. ( Amazed that a lot of bacon is imported from China !!! )
Dive into science - ABC splash
Disappointed that Prof Brian Schmidt and Prof Ian Chubb ( Chief Scientist ) both pulled out at the last minute owing to ill health.
It was great to touch base with a lot of suppliers.
To end a great conference - I won VIP tickets to Mythbusters =D>
CONASTA 64 will be in Perth next year 5-9 July. Start planning now :thumbup:
dss8386

Post by dss8386 »

Hey Nicky and Margaret,

Congrats Margaret on the Mythbusters tickets, I noticed you won them!!! Good to see a labbie win something!!

I completely agree with Margaret, the workshops were really good. I got a lot out of it. The big disappointment was that the 2 star speakers weren't there. That happens. For me CONASTA gave me opportunities and ideas that I simply cannot get in Cairns. Its very limited what we have up here, you can't even do a science degree here.

Wondering around Adelaide uni reminded me of my UniSA days. Forgot how much I miss uni, minus the workload.

Workshops I did were Working with glass (very cool), ABC Splash, Forensics (I managed to get chatting to someone and missed the bus, there fore I missed it :() I missed a couple on the first day others because my friend hurt her back and had to pick her up from work.

I would love to go to CONASTA 64 but I don't want to push my luck with the school. I will be definitely be going to CONASTA 65, my old boss Dr Jane Wright who's on the ASTA committee said it will be held in QLD, most likely Brisbane so I will be planning for that!! Cant wait, I am hoping to get some teachers to attend with me.
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Hi Margaret and David

Congrats on your mythbusters win Margaret, you were sitting right in front of me I remember the name.

Well I did not go to any of those workshops, seems like I missed out. David the forensic excursion was fantastic and the highlight of the trip for me, sorry you missed it.

Yes I dont think the school will pay for me to go to Perth but Brisbane should be no problem. I went with 2 teachers to Adelaide and we had a great time together. :thumbup: UniSA was beautiful loved all the old sandstone buildings.
dss8386

Post by dss8386 »

Hi Nicky,

I was disappointed I missed the Forensics excursion, I had the morning breakfast and it was not a fun morning running through botanic gardens getting drenched at 7 in the morning. Lost track of time.

Adelaide Uni was great. Beautiful old buildings and the labs were amazing. I have never seen fume hoods that big.

I am hoping to get a couple teachers to come to the QLD one. The school only approved me 2 weeks before CONASTA even though we budgeted for it and handed it in 2 months prior. I will make sure I can get teachers to the QLD CONASTA. Cant wait!!