Pasteur Experiment

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: Pasteur Experiment

Post by rae »

I'm sure Pasteur didn't have results in a week. I actually thought that the stock cubes had too much salt in them for a good growth. We use stock made from chicken wings and they have worked well the last few years!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We found that the broth you buy from supermarkets never grows mould. It might in your home fridge but it never did at work. I think there are preservative sin it to prevent mould.
Boil up some chicken wings/breast whatever, strain the solids off .. it works.. warming the flasks over time works.
We put the whole prac in a tray on top of a cupboard and go back a month later... well I go back a little earlier to make sure it is growing, and if not - cheat.
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT EVERYONE !!!!!!

So now I'm going to Cairns,much warmer than here at the moment.
Cheers
Mother
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

The dreaded Pasteur experiment! Do others filter your broth? My teacher likes it to be clear but it takes absolutely forever! This year I am trying Continental Stock Broth in little pottles. It says there are no preservatives but I have just read that it has thickeners and I suspect that is contributing to the globbing up of the filter paper. I put it through a sieve first but it is still taking forever.
Kathryn :(
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

We buy in Nutrient Broth powder. It makes a lovely clear broth.