Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
PhysicsOne
State/Location: NSW

Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by PhysicsOne »

Hi all science assistants across NSW,

The NSW government has set aside some money to upgrade 800 science laboratories:

"$280 million for the Building Better Schools initiative which includes the
upgrading of 800 science laboratories; construction of a further 18 primary
school halls and 10 high school gyms; and additional toilet upgrades,
electrical upgrades and security fences;"

The source is:
page 33 of 67 at http://www.treasury.nsw.gov.au/bp07-08/ ... /bp4_1.pdf

The idea, from what I was told by Ric Morante, who works at the curriculum directorate in Ryde, is that each school will get two laboratories and a preproom upgrade. He also estimated that $100 million from this amount would be allocated to laboratories. So that would work out to be over $100k each school.

Does anyone have more information?
What sort of laboratory design do you think would be best ie most functional?
I would be interested to hear more.

Regards,
Goran Terzic
Bankstown Senior College, Science Assistant
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Goran

What a difference that would make to our school (and God willing, a decent Chemstore).

Thanks also for your initiative in sending it out directly to the schools. =D> I had read it on this site, and printed it to show the staff, and OH&S Committee, as I am a member, then went to email it to my SAM, but you'd beaten me to it! She'd already forwarded it on to me, very excited.

Fingers crossed [-o<

Liz
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

Hi guys.
I have just had a laboratory totally refurbished as part of a building refurbishment. It looks fantastic, great earthy colours etc is clean and a breeze to clean. We didn't have a say in the design as its all done to code. It includes centre desks and side laboratory benches, a disabled laboratory bench - wheelchair friendly, shower and eye wash station, a couple of trolleys and a new and actually working fume cupboard.

The only thing that we did manage to get changed was a whitebaord attached to the wall as they were just going to provide whiteboard on wheels. This is what we got in the lab that was refurbished a couple of years ago and it is a real pain to write on - keeps moving etc.

They didn't do anything to the preproom attached so of course we go from the new very clean very modern through a door in to a time warp from 40 years ago ........ go figure.

I have 2 other labs that have had new vinyl put down in the last 12 months due to major flooding issues amongst other reasons. They ripped out the old benches, replaced the flooring and put the old benches back - so the floors look great and really did brighten up the old rooms. I also got new flooring in the main preproom but still have the old chipboard cupboards, water damaged and all, so a refurbished preproom would be lovely.

I have a much better work enviroment than I had a few years ago - have gone from 7 yukky labs to 4 labs - 2 great, 2 not to bad and hope that everyone gets to enjoy the pleasure of a couple of refurbished rooms

Dee
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

ps the comment about the chem store - I got one of those too ........... with chipboard shelving - treated with 1 coat of sealer - even though I showed my head teacher and deputy information about how it should be built.
coxy

Post by coxy »

Just reading about some of the new labs being built - I cannot believe anyone would build new laboratories and not even ask for ideas, or consult with those people who use and work in Labs every working day of their life!! How arrogant, and to continue to use chipboard in Labs is outrageous and such poor form. Why can't we all write to the department and suggest that something like marine ply (which is at least waterproof) be used, then they wouldn't have to replace entire labs every few years. We have cupboards and shelving that is rotting away (quite rapidly) and the smell from them is appalliing. That is also because to fix a leaking tap, they would have to have ripped out about three cupboards and so the tap has been leaking for about 4 months, the cupboard is rotting away, the kids still have to sit in that lab and do lessons, what a bloody joke. This topic really gets me upset. Enjoy the rest of your holidays!!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I am some what excited. \:D/

Oxley High is one of the schools that are to have new labs under this initiave. The word from the 4 official people that were here this morning that we will get probably 6 possible all 7 of our labs totally gutted and reburbished. I aslo get a total gutting and refurbishment of my main preproom. We have basically no say in what is being done,

"Some one" Somewhere" has already decided what is to be done in labs of specific sizes and shapes and that is what we will get. I under stand Greystanes High is the same biulding design as Oxley and they were done recently as a trial model. We should be done very similar.

Our school and labd are 40 years old so anything will be better than what we have. I get a new fume cupboard and dishwasher.

The question will be when! They said next year or 2010 but I will believe it when I see it! I also wonder whether a change of Govenrment before it is done will change what is actually done.

At least it all sounds good. The labs which at the moment have only benches with the gas and water at them will be changed to having a "wet" end with 6 or 8 "pods" with the sinks, gas taps , power and benches etc, and a "dry" end that is carpeted with desks and chairs. Hopefully should save a lot of vandalism to the taps etc.

Now I just have to be patient until the works starts, then it will be about 12 weeks with out a prep room until it is done.

Wendy =D>
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Wendy! That's great news!! What will you do for 12 weeks without a preproom?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

I hate to think!!!!!!!!!! 8O

Also what do I do with all the equipment that is in 2 labs whilst they are being done! Beakers, power packs test tube racks etc.

I also will have to totally clear my prep room andwhere all that stuff is to go I don't know. It is however a perfact opportunity to get rid of a lot of old "stuff" from the 1970's that is still hanging around because no-one wants to throw it out!

Wendy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

We have been told that we are also getting 3 8O new labs and a prep room upgrade. The people organising this will be here in the morning - very exciting. :grin:

Ill let you know more as i find out and i do not mind been without my labs for 12 weeks if we get a end result. \:D/ \:D/
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi Wendy

We to are having our labs done. I am cleaning out a store room full of 60 years of projects, bits and pieces "that we might need one day" and mice. I am also getting a new prep room with a chemical store built in so I also need to find room for all my chemicals. Its going to be a huge task but I can't wait :D :D :D
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,

How exciting for you all to have Refurbed labs and preprooms. It must be so amazing after all the years of neglect of our public school facilities to finally see some money being spent to provide staff and students alike with 1/2 way decent facilities. I can never understand how such valuable assets could be allowed to run down so badly and also have facilities in our public schools that we know that politicians and "other" public servants would NEVER work in yet our wonderful teachers and support staff are expected to work in everday!!

Lorrae
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

just had the powers of be here and I must admit that the plans for our new labs and prep room are great \:D/ . I think that they cover all that we want. The Prep room plan looks great, but must admit what I have now would not take much to beat. Am one excited Lab assisstant. It will be so good to work in a clean fresh new area. One that not many of us have at this moment. The clean up prior to this all happening is very scary but will be so good.

KIMMY
Linda26
Job Title: Library/Science Assistant
School: Heritage Christian School
Suburb: Port Macquarie

Post by Linda26 »

Hi Everyone

That is great that there are upgrades happening in the public schools.

I am wondering if anyone has anything they are going to throw out, could I put my name down for it. I live in Port Macquarie, but I am often in the Tamworth - Newcastle area, due to kids being spread out across these areas. I am willing to collect anything.
I don't think our school would be able to access this grant, but we are a bit on the poor side and would appreciate what we could get.

enjoy your new labs when they are reburbished. :D

Linda
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

Great to hear Science areas are going to be fixed up. How do we find out if our school is on the list? We have heard nothing, relieving Head Teacher knew nothing about the refurbishments.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Hi Linda,
As far as I am aware all equipment eg beakers test tubes etc we will still use old stock. It is the structure of the rooms desks/chairs that are been demolished or removed. Which I know in our case we will utilise through out our own school. Will let you know if it is going to be any different. You can only ask.

KIMMY
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Very little related information to this on both the DET's website & the state government but found this which might be usefull. Sounds like those getting it already know:

Q. How long prior to the start of demolition/upgrade will high schools be informed so they can pack up the learning spaces? Who is providing formal notification to schools?
A. School principals in identified schools will receive written notification from their regional School Education Directors about the Building Better Schools – Science project, stating the broad aims of the project for the school’s benefit. The notification will identify members of the project team who will undertake an initial site visit of the school and discuss the allocated upgrade for that school. Also included in the notification will be an invitation to attend a briefing session in their region. This initial communication will reach schools at least two weeks prior to the briefing session and scheduled visits.

Once the initial visit to the school has been undertaken and the school has agreed to the upgrade, a member of the Strategic projects team will negotiate a start and finish date with the principal.

Q. Since the project will involve demolition and other works of a noisy nature, why can’t the upgrades be completed during the Christmas vacation?
A. The project is being conducted in different regions at different times over the next 3 years. Where possible, some work may commence prior to the Christmas vacation. Work may also commence before other school holidays throughout the school year. It is anticipated that each phase of the construction will take between 9 -12 weeks per school. Schools need to suggest suitable times for consideration by the project team.

Q. Will the upgrades in each school be completed in the one time-frame?
A. Schools may decide that having their science learning areas unavailable for an extended period of time is unsuitable and prefer to have their laboratories upgraded in stages. However such a decision may extend the time frame for the completion of their upgrades.

Q. Will the main preparation and chemical store room be included in the upgrade?
A. The main preparation room will be upgraded as part of this project and will be include flexible storage facilities (e.g. a compactus) and a multi-level trolley as well as new cupboards, shelving, sinks, gas and water outlets and blinds for external windows. The chemical store is not part of this upgrade project.

Q. If we want to clean out the laboratories and preparation room, where do we throw out any rubbish?
A. The construction team will provide a container(s) which will be used to dump materials from each upgraded learning space. Teachers may also use this facility for the disposal of rubbish of a non-chemical nature.

Q. What will happen to any chemicals that the school has earmarked for collection and removal?
A. The school may have to contact their local properties officer if they wish to have chemicals collected and disposed of. In the meantime they should securely store the chemicals until they are collected.

Q. Are we allowed to keep some of the old furniture and storage shelves?
A. Those schools that wish to keep some of their existing storage facilities will need to relocate this furniture during the construction period. Schools may need to consider that the impact of bright, clean and new learning spaces may be diminished if old, scratched and unmatched furniture is placed back into these learning spaces.

Q. Will demountable science laboratories be provided to serve as temporary laboratories during the program?
A. Schools will not be provided with demountable facilities during the upgrade and will need to consider this when deciding on the schedule for construction.

Q. What if the principal does not agree to the designs provided?
A. The project team has been assigned specific designs for this upgrade and only these designs will be implemented in the upgrade. Principals may want extra time to consider the implications of any decision regarding the allocated upgrade for their school with their science head teacher.

Q. Are there are opportunities for minor site-specific variations to the design of the learning spaces?
A. Minor adjustments that do not affect the overall design of the allocated learning spaces will be taken into consideration during construction once they have been agreed to by all parties, included in the design and signed off.

Q. Who signs off on the designs prior to the commencement of the upgrade?
A. The Principal, science head teacher and project team will sign-off the designs for the upgrade.

Q. Who signs off once the upgrades have been completed?
A. The Principal, science head teacher and construction manager will sign-off that the upgrades have been completed in accordance with the signed off designs.

Q. How do I continue to provide access, as well as ensuring safe movement, for students with disabilities, during the upgrade?
A. The school will need to consider issues around access to and from classes for those students with disabilities.

The Curriculum
Q. What strategies need to be put in place to continue to deliver the curriculum during the upgrade– noting that Stage 6 courses require 80hrs of practical work and the junior science curriculum requires that 50% of class time is spent on practical activities?
A. Schools may need to consider the year level, the sequence of topics and the different types of science learning experiences that constitute practical work (see page 21-22 of the Science, Years 7-10 syllabus) that can be undertaken during the construction period to satisfy the syllabus requirements. Schools may wish to make use of classrooms vacated by Yr. 12 students if construction occurs during Term 4.

Q. What are some timetabling implications once the upgrade is completed?
A. Schools may consider timetabling each science teacher to the different learning spaces to facilitate flexibility of science lessons. Schools may also need to consider the allocation of classes to each line in the timetable to provide the flexibility of learning spaces to science teachers.

Q. Are the new data loggers and probes available through Technology 4 Learning (T4L)?
A. Data loggers and probes may be ordered individually or in sets, and will be available through the Technology for Learning (T4L) program. These integrated technology units provide students with internet access (either wireless or via a data point), spreadsheet, word processing and multimedia software, and use as a datalogger for capturing and analysing data during in-class investigations and those carried out in the field.

Q. Why do we have different learning spaces?
A. Different learning environments suit different lesson strategies and learning styles. Different learning environments increase the flexibility for collaborative and cooperative learning during scientific investigations where all students may or may not require access to gas and water facilities, but require flexibility of student movement.

Q. Why do we only have 8 work spaces in the Type 1 learning space?
A. The increased flexibility for students to ‘surround’ and be part of the investigation in Type 1 learning spaces reduces the need for extra gas and water facilities.

Q. What are the benefits of Type 2 learning spaces?
A. There are many occasions where investigations, modelling activities and demonstrations in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Earth and Environmental Science do not require all students to have access to gas and water at the same time. A Type 2 learning space:

enables the reconfiguration of furniture for a wider range of student-centered activities
allows for a smoother transition from one kind of activity to another
allows for differentiated activities within the one learning space and in the different learning spaces
provides freedom of movement and space when conducting practical activities where access to water and gas facilities are not required by all students at the one time
Q. Why do the learning spaces have areas with carpet and areas with vinyl?
A. Science laboratories can be quite noisy - the carpeted areas absorb noise thereby making the room less noisy; are designed for practical work that does not require gas and water access, such as microscopy work, examination of geological specimens and models, molecular modelling, teacher/student demonstrations, group discussions, etc. Industrial sheet flooring is more hard wearing and suitable for areas likely to be exposed to water and chemical spills.

Q. Are we allowed to rearrange the tables and chairs in the new learning areas?
A. The learning spaces have been designed to provide teachers with increased flexibility of student seating to accommodate different collaborative and cooperative learning strategies
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Not strictly on the topic, but today we had vistors to the school from another High School and they took photos of the science rooms, not sure if it is was so they could get some ideas on how to make science rooms like retro (eg they have not been upgrade in around 40 years) or just wanted to have a laugh at what the facilities in the South of Tasmania are like compared to ones in the North
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

thanks Richard,
You have answered just about any question that could have been asked regarding the upgrades. #-o
Just have to wait for a starting date now and then the big clean outs will start. :w00t:
kimmy
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Thanks Richard,

Kimmy I've already started my cleanout because, 1. I have to do it on my own and 2. it hasn't been done for about 50 years. My predecessors were very good horders and the science staff are no better wanting to keep EVERYTHING in case. I told them if they weren't helping everything was going and I haven't had one complaint. Yahoo I will be able to go down to my store and not fall over.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

Must admit that I am looking forward to cleaning out the old storerooms which I have two of. I will start soon also as dont want to leave it for the last thing as that is when we will keep stuff that should be long gone.
Might even come in through the next term break with no kids and no tachers about to get a big start on it all.