Hazardous Chemical Register

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Hazardous Chemical Register

Post by mtg »

I got mine done on the format supplied by Vic Gov site, over the lock down and labelled everything including all my solutions with riskasssess. I blew up the spreadsheets to an A3. I have given up on the rest of the school. I have given them all guidelines. When we fail the chem audit I will be employed extra days to try and sort them. My area is always over 90% perfect...
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Post by Merilyn1 »

If I don't get them all back, I let management know via the WHS Committee so someone with more responsibility than me is aware of the situation. Bit difficult when one of the offending areas was represented on the committee - I had to be a little more tactful!
I had planned this year on sending an email to any faculties who had not responded, "carefully" detailing the steps they would have to work through to ensure they were complying with legislation. I reckon that would spook them. Can I say I was just a little disappointed that everyone returned their stocktake? I'll keep that plan up my sleeve for future offenders!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Our Principal would give out their last year stocktake at the exec meeting to the head of dept's. And he would follow up if they did not return it to me, by the said date. It did work well.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by bigmack »

I have finally converted to XL .
I started by downloading the Database from Science assist a few years ago , picking and choosing off that to match what we have and have been using Chemwatch simultaneously until now when Chemwatch converted 95% of my manifest to garbage and made it totally unusable .
So now I have stored all my SDS's on the Faculty drive and have a link in the XL Chem Register.
However , as I have been downloading SDS's (Mostly Chemsupply or Merck ), I have found there to be quite a few discrepancies between what is on my Chem register from Science Assist , these, Chemwatch and even Risk assess as regards to GHS and whether a chemical is Hazardous or not .

How can there be such variations ? How can a chemical be Hazardous according to Science assist , Chemwatch and Risk assess while the latest 2020 SDS from two suppliers has it as Not Hazardous ?

If My SDS has it as NoN hazardous , should I then Change ( delete) all the GHS stuff on my register to match what is in the SDS ?
I really don't like removing stuff that someone has deemed Hazardous at some stage for some reason .....but at the same time , i would like the Registers info to reflect the current SDS .
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by bigmack »

Ahhh , I just found this on the Assist Spreed sheet .....it kinda explains why ....Assist got their data from Chemwatch .
Details about recommended concentration restrictions, safety and handling information or the nature of the specific chemical. Please refer to the 'Pictograms and Notes' page for the corresponding note.
"This is the classification of the chemical according to the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals. Unless otherwise stated, the GHS classification data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX, -http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/

"
"The classification of a chemical for Australian road and rail transport purposes according to the Australian Dangerous Goods Code. This data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
http://www.<URL removed, see forum rules>/"
Indicates the classification of a chemical which is included in the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP). This data was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
"Indicates whether the chemical is classified as hazardous or non-hazardous according to the National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC) Approved Criteria for Classifying Hazardous Substances (2004).
Indicates whether the chemical is classified as a Dangerous Good for Australian road and rail transportation purposes, according to the Australian Dangerous Goods Code.
This information was sourced from Chemwatch GoldFFX,
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I gave up using Chemwatch years ago. I just use ChemSupply for most SDS's now. Their site is user friendly. They have SDS's also from other suppliers that provide them with chemicals. If all else fails the internet can usually provide relevant SDS's for any elusive chemical that can't be pinned down.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

bigmack wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 12:51 Ahhh , I just found this on the Assist Spreed sheet .....it kinda explains why ....Assist got their data from Chemwatch .
Hey Bigmack - the definitive answer is the safety data sheet supplied by the specific manufacturer or supplier for the chemical you have. So if you have a chemical from Chem-supply, you would rely on their SDS, not a SDS produced, for instance, by Ajax-Finechem.

Well done on making the move. My first year here, it took me days and days to do the stocktake using the Chemwatch one as it wasn't in a user friendly order. I now have my stocktakes on a spreadsheet - stocktake done in 15 minutes!