Labelling rooms

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Labelling rooms

Post by dolphinscales »

OK the subject is a little wrong what i mean to ask is there any senior only schools out there? I have a question for you.

I work in a senior campus - only year 11 and 12's . I only started this term but am amazed at the lack of signage in the classrooms for use of safety glasses and such like. Entry not allowed by students and all that - is this normal?
i thought there is written some where there is a legal requirement for this signage but of course are unable to find anything now I want it.

I will get some up of course but the teachers seem to think it is not needed and that the seniors are responsible enough not to need it???? So far I have not seen this but maybe I looking at the wrong kids???

Any one got any ideas on this one?
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Post by Mother »

Hi there Annette
I work in a Senior College in Dubbo NSW.Classes include: Years 10,11&12.Lucky you,you don't have Year 10!!!!
I have put signage up on my doorways(2) into the Prep. room.This is for students not to enter my prep.room at any time.Must knock first!!! I have posters up in each lab (3 in all) for students to observe the safety rules whilst in a laboratory. The rest is then up to the teachers to make sure the students are briefed on the Occupational Healthy and Safety regulations within the Science areas.With each new school year the students have to read and then sign a Science Safety Agreement.The teachers keep these for later reference if required.The students are also given sheets to read such as: What to do in the event of an Emergency.Science Work Ethic for each Lesson and Rules for Safe Science.
Hope this gives you some ideas to put to your teachers!!!
Cheers
Mother
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi Annette, Your school should have a O H & S members with in your school. Ask the Principal who are the members, they should also have a list of what must be put up. Should also have sign's for Fire extinguisher's First Aid, Fire Blankets etc. Think if comes under the area of Science Assistant's job to make sure the SOP's are up to date. SOP = Standard Operations Procures. Plus the sign's in Science.

Kind Regards
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Hi Annette

Actually under WorkCover OH&S Regs and Code of Practices there should be signage for all sorts of things, not only exits, labelling etc. and the things already mentioned. Some equipment requires signage eg. Lasar light sources. Check out the CSIS Manual.

If you have no signs or not sure what you require, ask your OH&S committee and do it on paper or email, as they must act or explain why there is no need. Because under the Act everone is an OH&S officer and are required to report anything that they see as a potential problem, that includes signage.

Kim
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Thanks

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks to everyone who answered - now trying to get hold of OHS offcie is not so easy but in the process.