registration

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
lada
State/Location: NSW

registration

Post by lada »

Well, just to shed some light.
I have attended workshop on the new whs system GHS( global harmonized system) and started introducing it here. The labels are different to the old system. The inspector (economics teacher) wanted to see the old labels with colour dots :redcard: . When told this is the system we all have to convert to, she was surprised and passed as only until she checks it out.
Fortunately, came back to us next day saying "old dog can be taught new tricks". :clap3:
I was surprised, that as inspector she had no idea this system has been used in Australia for last 2 years with dead line Jan 2017.
I don't have all labels changed over yet, do it on needs to do basis.
How many of you are starting to change to GHS?
Lada :coffee:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Re: registration

Post by nickyw »

I have started changing over. Slowly but surely I'll get there. :thumbup:
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Lada,
I have changed all my dropper bottles over. just the chemical's I make up i do on the run.
One point to note is that although they are ghs labels with new symbols. we are still required to store them the same way as before ie class 5, 6, 8, 9 and non hazardous. So we should have storage of chemicals the old system but with new ghs labels on them.
So i have both class and ghs pictograms on bottles for ease of storage and to be compliant with ghs labelling.

ps we still use dots... as well
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Me Too. As I make up fresh chemicals I convert to GHS labels.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Yes, I have started, and I add a coloured dot, too. :-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We are almost completely changed over. I have been working on the GHS system since we found out about it a couple of years ago. Storage issues will be difficult - I like to still store under oxidising, reducing, no hazardous, toxic, flammable solids, flammable liquids, corrosives.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Sunray 18
I believe we are still to store them under the old system.
there is a storage regulation which is old Which is what we should be following from before.
But the new ghs regulation only applies to labelling.

Superbug
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

I agree with superbug, they are still stored under the older dangerous goods system. The new labels are for when the chemicals are actually in use. I attended the AIS Chemical Safety in Schools last week, and this issue had been one of my questions. Phillip Crisp (risk assess) gave the talk, and he confirmed this so to my way of thinking they need both sets of symbols, one for use, one for storage, unless you can remember where they all get stored. Also as far as Im aware the colour dots are still relevant under the DET CSIS package, which AIS schools use as well.

MariaC
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

And we passed registration last Tues, yay!
dime

Post by dime »

Until the department gives us the info and directive to make new labels, they are staying the same. They will probably tell us with a week to do the lot. But until then... :rolleyes:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I haven’t done anything about labelling as I am waiting until the DEC lets us know exactly what is required on the labels.
My main concern is the fact that all our chemicals are at the moment stored in their classes and we know what classes may or may not be stored beside each other.
Under the new GHS system both Hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide have the same corrosive symbol with no notation anywhere about incompatabilities.

The new labelling from what I have been able to find out does not take into account the classes, They are reserved for transportation and the class labels are NOT to be on the same label as the GHS symbols.

This is taken from the Safe Work Australia website
http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sit ... micals.pdf

“Class labels recommended for the transport of dangerous goods as specified in the ADG Code may be used instead of the relevant hazard pictograms specified in the GHS. Never use both in the same label. A comparison of the hazard pictograms as specified in the GHS and the ADG Code class labels are shown in Appendix G1.”

i don't want to do all the hard work of labelling only to find out that it is not done to the DEC guidelines and have to do it all again.
I also don't want to have spent time labelling with GHS pictograms when as I read the above statement to read that the Transportation of dangerous goods labelling may be used instead on the label.
This statement is also made in the publications from United nations Economic Commission for Europe where I gather this whole change has been initiated.
http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/tran ... annex7.pdf

Though I would like it if someone in authority would giveus these guidelines so I could get to work!
I am not happy just doing what I think is right I want to be sure.
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri

Post by Cin »

Yes I agree with you Fibreweb. I would like it in black & white from the Department before starting to do it.
dime

Post by dime »

Just had a thought...No-one has ever looked at all the labels I did years ago. Come to think of it, I actually don't think anyone could have cared less as I was never given a time frame, just did it my way, right or wrong.
In the scheme of things, while we have a lot of chemicals to store, they are only small amounts compared to drum sizes for instance, and they are stored as well as we know.
As long as the chemicals are used correctly and with due diligence for safety, to me is the main thing. I look after me in the preproom, and what actually happens in the classroom is out of my hands.
So in some ways will another label really make a big difference, as like I said, no-one has ever commented on the current ones. :?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Do let us know if you EVER get feed back. I have money on it, you do not.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I spoked to the WH&S person and state school will not need to comply till 2019
As the dept has not yet done anything about it and has a extention
So for all out there we have plenty of :clap3: time
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

That's good to know, thanks
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
dime

Post by dime »

Haha..guess who will be retired, well and truly by then. :clap3: :cheesy: Thanks Noona for the update.
lada

Post by lada »

You and me both, Dime
Lada
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Me too I hope :clap3: :clap3:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Just a thought :unsure:

Today I recieved a new bottle of Copper sulphate with all the GHS details already on it so it doesn't need any labelling other than the green dot.

But what I did before I put it in its appropriate shelf in the chem store was write on the label
Storage
DG Class 9 Miscellaneous Dangerous Goods

No symbol just the words
If there is not supposed to be both sorts of pictures on the labels could we just add an extra box with storage area?