Job Description

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Re: Job Description

Post by J »

Glad to hear you're not TOO badly injured, Liz. :D
And hope you have a truly great Christmas and holiday, ready to come back for more of the same next year (injury-free we hope). [-o< [-o<

Julie
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Julie - and the same to you sweetie, and to everyone on this wonderful wonderful site.
Be happy, have fun, keep well, do lots of good things to treat yourselves, and just enjoy every minute at home!!!!
It'll feel like coming home to log back on next term - can't wait to hear what you've all been doing over the hols!
Blessings to all, and your loved ones ....
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Hello I have been asked to write a job analysis by the principal outlining tasks what education I need and have to perform those tasks and what sort of supervision I have etc, he said to just use my job description but I never got one, and as no one else in the school really seems to know i exists let alone what exactly it is that i do, no one else can help me. I vaugley remeber seeing a posting for an attachment of the vic gov school job descritption(I work for independant school) for the lab tech but but can't fine it can someone ponit me in the right direction?
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

Hi
I know im in NSW but if you like I will fax you my list of "offical" duties.Mind you I dont stick to it.
matchstick
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

That would be fantastic the Fax number here is (08) 89830333. I know what I do but officially I dont know what im supose to be doing
Thanks !
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

hope it helps
M
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Thanks, it has helped so much, mainly becasue a lot of the duties I will be expected to perform in future are on it. with only one science lab in operation so far I dont really have alot to do. Thanks again!!!!
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

When the electric guy came here, he wandered around on his own. I think he thought we couldn't hide anything from him if he went looking himself!! He was quite happy to go through the cupboards. I'm sure I would have forgotten something if I had been in charge!
leepy63

Post by leepy63 »

I also have almost 1000 students at my school and I am the only Lab Assistant. As for the chemical stocktake for the whole school I will tell you a funny story.
My last HT came to me one day and asked me to do the whole schools chemical stocktake. When I declined he started to give me the story line that it would be good for my "career" I just laughed at him and said "what career", I can't be promoted, I can be moved to any SAO (School administative officer) position at anytime my hours in Science can be cut at anytime I have no formal qualifications apart from a cert 111 certificate in Science and admin. (Which took 6 actual Tafe days to do)
I love my job but thats what it is a JOB not a career. So I won that round and all other Faculties now do their own areas Chemical stocktake as the Chemwatch package says they should, so they are aware of whats in their areas and how to manage it.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

HI Leepy, Good for you, I do like to read those stories. Some times it is hard to do, stand up I mean. Well Done :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: =D>
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY :clap3: I just had a meeting with my head of School and next year I get to work four days a week! :w00t: an increase of a whole day and a half yeessssssssssssssss :party: this means I can quit my other job in retail EXCITEMENT! but means I have to drop down to part time at uni :-( which mean it's gonna take longer!Oh well at least they are introducing psychology as an elective next year at the school so I can write some study off on tax :giggle: . JUst had to tell someone \:D/

PS did anyone know there was a limit to the number of smilies you can use in one message? apparently seven is your limit so use them wisely! :unsure:
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

congratulations rowyrow! Will be nice to have just the one position to think about.
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
and you're right, only 7 smiley claps for you
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Congrats Row! :thumbup:

Still haven't been called in for my 'talk' yet....! :? Hope it's soon... need to plan next year with uni & life too!

I can't believe you weren't given a job description Rowyrow!

How many students do you have there in the middle & senior schools?
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

I think its only a few hundred? :unsure: two classes of year sixes three of sevens three of eights two of nines onw of tens, thats for this year though. Next year tens goes up to three and we get three year eleven classes aswell. the middle and senior is all on the same campus, Hooray for the new buildings going up at the moment and another new lab for me! :D
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

yep. Just had to prove that one for myself!

I added a few extra skills to my job description several years ago.

Mind Reading
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,

I know this is an old topic, however I am just about to have my job description formalised. I have been here 4 years and there hasn't been one in that time. Just wondering if there was another topic on the forum somewhere that people had actually posted job descriptions.
If so where?
If not ,does anyone have one they could post here or fax to me. I just want to get an idea of what things are included eles where so nothing is left out.

Thanks

Lorrae
fax no: 0248613328
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi rae

I wrote my own job description in the end.
The other was pretty broad. Problem with writing down everything that you do, is that someone down the track can then hold you to it.

Problem with NOT writing your own, is that people just then think
that you are a mere washer-upper-er, and what on earth do you find to do all day?

a teacher ( non science) once asked me ..re sports day, when there were no students in school ....
"You must get bored and be at a loose end when the teachers are away"

Cough! splutter!!yes! i was speechless..... 8O :banghead2: :banghead: :club:

Seems there was a final clause in the original job description (when I took up employment) that read something like :

"...and other duties as requested by the teacher or principal" :rules:

That pretty much covers everything

which is pretty much what we do.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Role Description

Post by smeee »

Can anyone help please.....

As a follow on from the National Forum on Status of Lab Technicians...I need to find a role description from NSW DET schools.

Please PM or email me with details
mcr@lasalle.nsw.edu.au

Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Re: Role Description

Post by Judy R »

There is an excellent description for Technicians and their jobs on the CLEAPSS site.This is in the UK however very pertinent to our job descriptions.
Go to cleapss.org.uk
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Re: Role Description

Post by smeee »

Thanks Judy....but we are after the DET NSW role description so that in the end we will have a role description similar to CLEAPPS