what is the pay scale of a labbie

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: what is the pay scale of a labbie

Post by Labbie »

In the DoE we are not labbies, but School Admin Officers, SAO but us working in science have been known as Labbies for years. We are all paid the same as the front office ladies. As I have retired I can not say the amount, but believe it is about $26.90 per hour.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Below is the pay scale for Lab Techs in Catholic schools in Tasmania. This new scale was brought in last year. Level one is only a "lab assistant", so majority of people are on level 2 or above. I am permanent (get sick leave etc) and on level 2.1 which equates to $37.651 per hour.

level salary point 1 March 2018
1 1 $61 274
2 $62 805
3 $64 376
4 $65 985
5 $67 635
6 $69 326
2 1 $72 835
2 $74 657
3 $76 523
4 $78 436
5 $80 397
3 1 $82 407
2 $84 467
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Damn, that table looked nice before I submitted it!!

The first row is level 1, salary point 1. Second row is still level 1, but salary point 2. Continues down until we get to row 7 which is level 2, salary point 1. Second last row is the start of level 3.

Hope that makes a bit of sense.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

LOL , I don't even know what I get ...but my Mrs says it more than I earn as a TV technician on the days I don't work as a Labbie
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sarah B wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 11:55 This is an old discussion, and having just joined Chemtalk I would be interested to hear what lab technicians are earning in 2018 - if there's any difference? I work at a small Christian School and have been paid $25 per hour as a casual (no holidays, sick leave etc) for 6 years.
Hi Sarah
Each education system (DoE, Catholic and Independent) have their own agreement or award. This will then vary between states. So you really need to find the agreement relevant to your workplace otherwise you are comparing apples with bananas!
For yourself, I would be asking when they plan on making you permanent? Do you work regular hours? Have you been working the same hours for the six years? In some jurisdictions, your employer may be obliged to offer you a permanent job if you have been working the same shifts for a certain period of time. You would need to ring the relevant state government department or the union to check. As for the $25, I am paid significantly more than that as a permanent employee with my pay averaged over the year. You should check your pay rate against the award/agreement.
Sarah B
State/Location: VIC

Post by Sarah B »

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Sounds like I'm not on a great wicket!!
remlap12

Post by remlap12 »

Labbie wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 12:06 In the DoE we are not labbies, but School Admin Officers, SAO but us working in science have been known as Labbies for years. We are all paid the same as the front office ladies. As I have retired I can not say the amount, but believe it is about $26.90 per hour.
Labbie, it is actually $29.90 per hour now for a permanent SAO :coffee:
Regards
remlap12
science support and problem solver :mail:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thanks Remlap12
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

I get $33 an hour for my "permanent" hours and $40 an hour if I'm on the casual rate. You are being ripped off at $25 an hour for casual. Good luck and get stuck into them for a better deal, I reckon. :redcard:
Sarah B
State/Location: VIC

Post by Sarah B »

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. A conversation may be necessary before the year is over!