Labbie Hours v's Number of Students

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
chocolatepot2003
State/Location: NSW

Labbie Hours v's Number of Students

Post by chocolatepot2003 »

Hi everyone.

I was hoping you can help!!

I am having some issues at my current school with the amount of work I have to do with the number of hours I have to do it all in!!

What I need is the following info...

1. Are you FT in your science position?
2. Do you have any other responsibilities within the school OTHER than what you do in Science? (Eg...laminating, reporting or other admin tasks for the whole school)
3. How many students are there at your school?
4. How many Science teachers do you have?
5. Do you get any extra assistance from another SASS member and if so, how many hours a week?
6. Do you have agriculture?

Just to give you some background...last year, my school had 960 students and 11 science teachers. I am full time in Science, but I was also responsible for the laminating for the whole school and some aspects of reporting as well as moving kids in and out of classes if they changed classes. This year, we have over 1000 kids and we have an EXTRA 3 junior classes and I still do those extra things I mentioned. I am getting no additional hours in the way of help, even though extra hours have been allocated by staffing.

My last school had 950 students, 10 science teachers and I had no other responsibilities other than science AND I was also allocated an assistant for 1 whole day every single week (so an additional 6 hours a week). The school I was at prior to that only had 600 students and 4 science teachers and that lady was a fulltime lab techie with no other responsibilities.

I realised yesterday just how rushed I am when I realised I was making up a kit of mystery powders and had no gloves on or eye protection and I was spilling powders everywhere in my haste. OH&S is not being followed because I just don't have the time to put it all on and I should not risk my safety because our SASS hours are not being used appropriately (needless to say my SAM has given herself the extra hours to help her with her job!!!!). I am hoping to gather as much info about other schools as possible (and I need it to be from public schools so I am comparing oranges with oranges!) so that I can go to management and demand some extra help.

Many thanks,
Kris
Louise

Re: Labbie Hours v's Number of Students

Post by Louise »

Hi
Im at DET School with 850 students. There are 2 prelim bio classes, 2 HSC bio, 2 senior prelim, 2 HSC SScience, a very large chemistry prelim, and a small hSC chem.
4 prep rooms 5 labs. and 7 teachers, + 6 x each junior year, no ag..

I only do Laboratory Technician Work, 31.5 hours a week, no photocopying.
For the last 2 weeks i have only filled orders that were placed up to the the day before.
I am not the most popular person this week, lol , but saftey and stress were getting to me so some tough love was needed.
On the bright side i am taking bribes for late orders ( wine and chocolates)on the side. :crazy:
chocolatepot2003

Thanks Louise :D

I love this idea though..."On the bright side i am taking bribes for late orders ( wine and chocolates) on the side" :w00t: I might just design a poster advertising it right now!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have 10 teachers, 7 lab classrooms, 4 prep rooms. and just me. So we have 24 hours notice for any thing, text books, photocopying, coloured pencils etc. I do not do the photocopying any more Too busy. I work 32.5 hours per fornight, I am full time Permanent. One dish washer, which goes on about 6 times a day.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
chocolatepot2003

Thanks Labbie.

But is that right you only work 32.5 hours a fortnight? Or do you mean a week?
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

sorry 31.5 per week so 62 per fortnight, I'm awake now, ha ha
Regards Labbie

chocolatepot2003

Lol, Labbie. Think you need some wine and chocolates too!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

A large WINE Cask me thinks,
Regards Labbie

TirzahKat
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by TirzahKat »

1100 Students 7-12
3 year 12 Bio
1 year 12 of each physics chem and senior science
3 year 11 Bio
1 year 11 of each physics chem and senior science
11 Science Teachers
5 labs
3 prep rooms
Just me 30hrs per week (permanent part time)
Science only

this week averaging 14+ pracs per day
Science Assistant
St Johns College
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I am in Government school with just on 1000 students.
There is only me and I work in Science 27.5 hours a week. I have to do trained monkey work in the library 4 hours a week!

I have 7 labs, 3 prep rooms and 10 teachers. There are 6 science classes in years 7-10, 2 Biology in 11 and 12 and one physics and Chem class in each year 11 and 12.

I do the photocopying for Science and Ag and laminating for them and others if A3 or 4 is needed.
3 of my teachers also do AG and there is a little preparationsfor them as well.

Oxley High is a very spread out campus with labs in 3 different blocks, including one set up stairs.

To make things work better for me I have all the necessary equipment for most experiments in the labs ( test tubes, beakers, watchglasses etc) and class sets of most other stuff like electrical gear, microscopes, ray boxes in each prep room. This minimises the carrying of gear around the school.
Most teachers have home room and are essentially responsible for ensuring the students clean up after themselves including washing their beakers, test tubes etc. If the teachers does not get the students to do it, they will have dirty gear next time they want to do an experiment!

I don't have time to wash up everything after every lesson.

One saving grace is I have an elderly staff with the average age of 53 (They are all still younger than me!) Most are counting the days until they leave and do as little experiments as they can. Last year I had one teacher who only placed 30 orders for the whole year! Even the fellow who orders the most only placed 110 orders.
chocolatepot2003

Thanks guys!!

Some of us are REALLY overworked by the sounds of it.

My teachers are terrible at cleaning up after themselves and don't even get the kids to rinse beakers and return to the cupboards in the labs for basic stuff like dissolving salt. I am currently in 'training' with them, but looks like it will be very long process.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

We do not have ANY glass ware in the class rooms, AT ALL. That way the teachers have to order every things they require, beakers, Measuring cylinders, test tubes, it is all stored in the Prep room. I have worked like this for over 10 years. Cuts out the need to check cupboards for dirty beakers. As we do not have home rooms, we are Too large. All cupboards are locked, except the teachers bench that has the Bursens, tri pods, retort stands, test tubes racks, wire mats, and metal & Wooden tongs. every thing else in the the prep room. It has worked very well, I do not have to check cupboards, all teacher have the same key if they wish to open the cupboards to put long term experiments in or store thier books away.

This was the Principal idea, saves on insurance, because NO glass ware is stored in class rooms. Not too sure if he was telling a story, but its worked for 10 years or so.
Regards Labbie

J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I have trained my teachers to do similar with glassware. That way, if it gets used, it gets returned to me and I make sure it is cleaned before putting it away. We are a very small school and not a high volume of pracs going through the system each day, so that gives me a BIG advantage :thumbup: :clap3:
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I rung the PSA one regarding Labbie Hours V's Number of students. And guess what, it is up to the SAM to see if you get extra help, get or on the wrong side of her, and like me NO help at all. Their is NO formula for that one.
Regards Labbie

chocolatepot2003

I know, Sue...it's pretty bad that they decide, especially if you don't get on with the SAM :(

Like I mentioned above, my SAM gives herself the extra hours we have been allocated. Must be nice when you're the one in charge?

I know it must be hard as a SAM to please everyone, but they have to remember that in Science when you're rushing, the consequences can be disastrous.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

So true Chocolatepot, love that name.
Regards Labbie

rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I'm sure science doesn't even pass a thought for them!
McCarthy
School: McCarthy Catholic College
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by McCarthy »

The School Science Laboratory Technicians National Standards 2013 has guidelines on the service factor level of our position/role etc....an excellent document.

to view the pdf google:
School Science Laboratory Technicians National Standards 2013

Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Kerry
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Please see just a winge, I have put up the PSA meeting 23/10/14 it is just awful.
Regards Labbie

chocolatepot2003

Thank you so much for letting me know about the 2013 Guideline, Kerry!! This will be great ammunition to take to to my SAM and principal :thumbup:

I have worked out that based on those standards (service factor being 0.85) I am sitting at 0.19 and that doesn't include all the extra stuff I have to do for my school outside of Science. This will be great ammunition to take to to my SAM and principal :thumbup:

I actually had a whinge to my SAM the other day and told her I need someone to help, even if for a few hours a week. She said "I can't send anyone to help you...no-one is science trained." What the??? Firstly, when did someone washing up glassware need to be science trained?? And secondly, I AM NOT SCIENCE TRAINED!!!!! Better get me out of there ASAP :cheesy: