Plastic trays

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Plastic trays

Post by bigmack »

Hi all , we have these plastic dissection trays . They are dated 1986 but are still as good as the day they were made .
Looking to get some more as they seem to be very handy for setting ISRP pracs ready , unfortunately I never seem to have enough.

Been looking around and can't seem to find anything similar . I don't want to go gratnells as they are significantly bigger but would prefer something that will last .

Anyone got any suggestions .
Plastic trays.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Plastic trays

Post by Prima »

We have bought ABS trays from Haines, been about 4-5 years ago, they've lasted well. We've also got the same grey ones, they are indestructible!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks Prima ,they sound good .
Just noticed Science Supply Aussie has what appears to be the same ones and quite a few bucks cheaper.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Two things - Firstly, the old grey trays are photographic trays, not cheap, but, yes very durable. Try your visual arts teacher to see if they have a photography catalogue.
Secondly, the ABS trays aren't dishwasher proof. Found out the hard way :-(
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Merilyn1 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 07:42 Two things - Firstly, the old grey trays are photographic trays, not cheap, but, yes very durable. Try your visual arts teacher to see if they have a photography catalogue.
I must be lucky then, mine have gone through the dishwasher countless times!
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Link to some photography trays (Australian company too) https://www.photoresource.com.au/DARKRO ... s/2210.htm
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Prima wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 10:45
Merilyn1 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 07:42 Two things - Firstly, the old grey trays are photographic trays, not cheap, but, yes very durable. Try your visual arts teacher to see if they have a photography catalogue.
I must be lucky then, mine have gone through the dishwasher countless times!
Some were okay but a couple came out really buckled. Had to hide those ones from the boss as I had only just bought them and she was a bit tight with how our budget was spent.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks for the Photographic developing trays . They certainly do look like that's what they were . Interestingly, all the ones available nowadays have a pouring spout molded into the corner .

They certainly are a lot cheaper than the ABS ones available from Haines or SCA.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Been Googling ABS . Apparently its glass transition temp is 105 degC so I guess if your dishwasher was very hot , close to 100deg , it's quite possible it may start to deform . Likewise , if your dishwasher doesn't run quite as hot , say around the 80 deg Mark , it wouldn't effect it .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Thanks Bigmack. It was an old dishwasher, so that would explain the higher temperature. I doubt my current one would do much damage!