White Board Makers

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour
State/Location: NSW

White Board Makers

Post by CHSC »

Hi Everybody
This is a question for schools that have whiteboards instead blackboards or any one who knows.
Can any one tell me which is the best brand and type of white board makers?
As the one we use tend to run out too quick (so the teachers tell me).

Thank you

Ramona
Last edited by CHSC on 17 Jul 2007, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
PhysicsOne

Re: White Board Makers

Post by PhysicsOne »

Pilot Wytebord Marker V (model:WBMA-VM). The teachers here love them. They are liquid ink. You pump the tip to recharge. You can also see how much ink is left to know to use them to the last drop. Call Pilot if you need to know which stationer has them.
Something similar is Pentel Maxiflow, pump action too, but the teachers think the tips have a finer point.
I found that these markers are more expensive but it is worth it as they last and the teachers are happy.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Hi all,

Our teachers prefer Artline Whiteboard Markers - definitely not OfficeMax brand! Artline are available from QStores. However, one pen only lasts about one week for average usage. I don't know how this would compare with pens with liquid ink. Any ideas?

Robbie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

My God! We made the mistake of buying Office Max whiteboard markers. Never again. Cicadas live longer!!!!! Actually, that's wrong isn't it. They live for years feeding on tree roots. Above ground! I meant above ground!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

We use Staedtler whiteboard markers (from Q-Stores), because they not only last well, but are refillable. Most cost-effective. The refill bottles also from Q-stores, although they're not listed in the new catalogue, so perhaps a phone-call first.

I noticed some of the companies displaying goods at the St Mary's Conference last year had a new kind of refillable marker system on offer - Scientrific was one. Auspen was the the name, came in packets of 12, and refill bottles separately, or a selection of colours & refills in a carry case.
From memory it was a more expensive option than the Staedtlers, but good to see the manufacturers thinking beyond disposable.

Have looked up the Staedtler Q-stores numbers:
982815 - green markers (pkt 10). Refill - 982812
982816 - black. Refill 982811
982817 - red. Refill 982813
982818 - blue. Refill 982814

Liz
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Hi all,

mmm... liquid pens and bottles of refillable ink...sounds like the good ole days of learning to write with a fountain pen and a bottle of ink...or am I the only one here old enough to remember such things?!!!

Anyway, happy holidays for those who have holidays!!!

and take care,

Robbie
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

Thanks everyone for your help.
Have a great holiday. :D \:D/ :coffee:

Ramona
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I bought black faber-castell whiteboard markers, they were hopeless! They faded to grey and the students couldn't read the info on the board.
I still have to supply chalk because the "powers that be" supplied all our labs with new whiteboards but they are so small that the teachers have to do one third of the lesson on the whiteboard and finish off the other two thirds on the blackboard. smart move huh.

I will be checking out other brands of pens next term.

Estelle
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Hi All,
We've been trialling the Auspen refillable ones here since late last year. So far, so good. They certainly last, but do cost a bit. I've yet to do the figures on whether they are more cost effective, but it looks like the way to go. Many of the teachers that are trying them, are still on their first one, or at least on their one bottle of refill ink. You can also turn the nibs around, so they last for ages, but I don't know if you can buy replacement nibs or not.
Cheers,
Lisa
Bob
State/Location: WA

Post by Bob »

Hi robbie
I can go back further and remember ink wells in the desk and using a wooden pen handle with a dipping nib.
Bob (:-})>
N.W. Regional Technician. W.A.
Nothing is certain -- only probable or improbable.
m

Post by m »

Hi all

I'm also interested in which whiteboard markers are best and have read all the advice given

thanks so much for everyones contributions, I always get great advice and tips from you guys

thanks a bunch :w00t: =D>
Maria
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Hey Guys,
I spoke to the Q stores rep. and told them that the office max markers were useless and she said they had been getting a few complaints so she was going to look into it. We like the refillable ones from staedtler but Q stores hasn't got those any more. We did get some from Kookaburra so the teachers are happy again.
Helen
Nikki
State/Location: WA

Post by Nikki »

Hi all

We bought some refillable markers at the beginning of last year from Scientrific. They are about $35 for the starter kit I think. As far as I know the teacher using them has only filled the black one once so far. As we are focusing on environmentally sustainable practises at our school these set a good example.

Cheers
Nikki
estelle

Post by estelle »

I have finally found some white board markers that are reasonably priced and that the teachers find don't fade and don't have a toxic smell. I think we have trialled almost every other brand.
The brand is MonAmi, bullet point, non-toxic and supposed to last up to 96 hours with the cap off. They come in black, blue, green, red, pink, & orange. I think they worked out at about 85 cents each and they seem to last a long time but best of all they are bright on the whiteboard.
I got them through RAM Paper & Office Products Brisbane,
Ph:07 3277 7966 Fax: 07 3277 7215
They had quick delivery and the freight was very reasonable as well.
Hope this helps someone out.
Estelle
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

They sound good Estelle, might give them a go. We are still trialling a couple of other brands (Auspen and Pilot Wyteboard Markers) and they seem good, but these sound better value. Do you have a product code or something, to ensure I get the right ones?
Cheers,
Lisa
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

We tried the AusPen refillable whiteboard markers. Trouble is, that as they start to run out, the teachers just PRESS HARDER, so that, by the time they are returned for re-filling, the nibs are shot! I don't know if the nibs are replaceable, but last order, I orderedPilot "Wyteboadrt Marker" ones. No complaints so far!

Ian :)
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

This years lot of Aus-pens came with reversable tips, rather a messy job to turn them around when the piont is stuffed.
I just tried to do it to see how you went about it and have ink all over my hands and my trousers where I dropped the nib onto them!!!

We have used them for the last 2 years and found them good for most teachers, thought there is one teachers that has gone through twice as many pens and refills ( he's the same one that wanted to make gunpowder last week !!!!)

On the whole they have worked beter then others we have tried.
Wendy
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Is that a bit like the stand-up comedy line - Why is it that when the batteries go flat on the TV remote, we just press HARDER?! How does that help? An interesting reflection on human nature possibly.

Cheers, K 8-)
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

...Or the ones that turn the Air Conditioner down to 16 degrees on hot days! Crikey! if the poor machine can't get the temperature from 35 down to 25, then it sure won't get it down to 16!!!

...or the ones that turn the A/C's down to 16 and then open up all the windows so that the "through breeze" can "help" the A/C. (!!!!) and then we wonder about "Global Warming" Perhaps they think that we might reverse global warming by pumping all that cool air to the atmosphere? #-o

Ian
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi Lisa,
The poduct codes for the whiteboard markers from RAM are:
MAMOWBBBK black
MAMOWBBRE red