How many of us wear Lab coats??

polling is enabled in this forum.

Do you wear your lab coat on a daily base?

Yes I do wear my lab coat daily
45%
No I only wear it some times
55%

Total votes: 101

Voice
State/Location: VIC

Re: How many of us wear Lab coats??

Post by Voice »

I usually wear a laboratory apron that has a large pocket at the front. It has a back the same size as the front and is tied at the sides. As I am a large woman I find this less cumbersome than a lab coat. And when I am washing glassware, I put a plastic apron over that! I am very messy.
Maree :-)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Morning folks,

I received the extra money for 4 new lab coats.

Thank you all for your ideas, a votes.

:D
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Quote: Don't lab coats only cost around $25 each anyway? Works out about just over 1 hour pay. It sounds like you've probably spent more than 1 hour wasting time writing letters, doing research, chasing up support etc. Pretty crazy huh?
Rosalie

Eh? wasting time writing letters on Chemtalk? Nonsense! It's a plausable question to ask that got a great response. If it's comfortable to wear a labcoat wear it. If it saves you and your clothing great - that's what they're designed to do. We don't have a dress code here as I'm not serving the public, neat but practical. I have labcoats, I wear them and I have to stop the teaching staff pinching them.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I didn't mean wasting time on chemtalk - No way!! I think I've learnt more here than I remember learning at uni! I was talking about writing letters to justify more labcoats etc...
Rosalie
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes, but some people like, letters, forms, our new man at the top, likes things done this way.

Crazy world :-o
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

PPE like labcoats should never need to be justified - it goes hand in hand with what we do and and any lab I might work in, I would expect several to be supplied for my use along with safety eyeware. You should never have to apply for such things. Does a fireman supply his own hose? Er, bad example.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

I wear my son's old MacDonalds apron, have sewn the school emblem on it, looks great and does the job.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

I always where my labcoat, specially in winter, it keeps my nice and warm! Plus i love the different array of coloured stains on it from my histology days, they always cheer me up!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Yes! Sassi,
I always wear coat, since one day opened dropper bottle of iron ll sulfate and it sprayed all over front of shirt no worries till it went in the wash came out of machine (reaction with soap powder) with massive rust stain that would not come out.
Now have varigated lab coats and they lend a professional air.
The other day principal called me in to tell me, that I am getting an extra $6 a fortnight for laundering Lab coats
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
I'm with you it is a PPE thing and I have two lab coats use them every day part of my dress at school it saves the cloths as well.
Noona
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Good Morning chemtalk family,
Unless the OH&S regulation has been amended when it was originally enacted, employers expecting personell to wear PPE are under obligation to also provide it. I may well be wrong now but that is most certainly how it was originally a couple of years ago. Of course we can buy it ourselves and get tax deductions but the bottom line is...
Regards,
Lou
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Further to my earlier post, check this link out ;
http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/FAQs/OH ... /PPEQ5.htm
and it says all.
Lou.

:-) :-) :-)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for that, Lou
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I wear my Lab Coat at all times, unless at lunch. As Part of My Personal Protective Equipment I feel much safer knowing that I can take this off in the event of an accident.

You don't want to know how many Lab Coats I have!!

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I don't like lab coats - used to wear them all the time in my previous life in Industry.. I have found the Pathology style lab coats are better at keeping clothes clean - they are the ones that have a back opening...
but if I wear mine around the school I am told I look like a 'dork!'... :cheesy:
My prep room is horribly hot in summer - and a Lab coat is just too hot to wear... :whistling2:
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Pam
You know I wear Shorts 9 months of the year
And get some strange looks with coat over shorts, but we are not in a fashion parade!
smiley

Post by smiley »

In a previous job, I crucified myself by trying to catch a falling petrie dish. It hit the bench, cracked, and drove a large shard through my hand. So I went off to the hospital in my pink lab coat. I was ushered straight past a packed waiting room, given priority treatment, had the glass picked out and was given a preventative antibiotic shot. Then one of the doctors asked me was Dr Whoever in today. EH? Turns out the path techs in that hospital wear pink lab coats, and they thought I was a staff member. :thumbup: Makes one want to keep a lab coat in the car at all times, for the silver service.
Cheers, K 8-)
The Search Engine

Post by The Search Engine »

Hello lab coat fans!
Noticed this post was started last September but I thought I would comment anyway.
I wear my lab coat every day - love it - for most of the reasons aforementioned - warmth, cleanliness, identification (& for a laugh).
After one female staff member commented I looked like I was coming to do her PAP smear I did a similar thing to Lizzie B - I have tie dyed my lab coat - looks a treat. It's a lovely sky blue with white splodges in differing gradients all over it. No mistaking me for a pathologist now! LOL - shall post a picture when I get a good one and figure out how!
Search
The Search Engine