No
96%

Total votes: 28

bindi
State/Location: NSW

Safety glasses!

Post by bindi »

Do your students BYO safety glasses?

We are trying to decide what to do next year!
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Safety glasses!

Post by RosalieM »

We just have one class set in each lab, but from what others have said, this isn't good enough. See the post 'Safety glasses hygiene' for more discussion on this topic.
Rosalie
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

BYO safety glasses. A fascinating concept - but would it just become another thing to forget, like textbooks, workbooks, even pencil cases! :-o Not to mention the option of "Mine broke in my bag, now what do I do?" #-o
And would they vandalise them any less if they were their own? There is a current craze in my school to draw eyes on the front of the glasses with marker pen - oh so hilarious, especially after the 57th time.

Good luck on that one.

Cheers, K 8-)
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

I'm with Kirsten, some of our students have trouble remembering to bring a pen! BYO Safety glasses! It just wouldn't happen.
We have class sets up on the wall and I wash them every term, but after seeing the other safety glasses topic on hygeine, I'm thinking I should do it more often, and I have just done them in napisan. Thanks to whoever it was that brought napisan to my attention, brilliant stuff.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes Milton or Nappy san, as the teacher order safety glasses, towards the end of team, we often have a tub of Milton ready, the students to put the glasses into, the next class, give them a shake, and put them on. Milton made up lasts for about 24 hours. That only happens in the very busy times.

We do not have the money or the clients to BYO safety glasses.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
bindi

Post by bindi »

Thanks for the comments, Ive been asked to conduct a poll by our OHS officer who is wondering what other schools do.
We to have one class set per lab and dont have time to soak, wash,wipe and space to store.
Im also on my own.
laurena grieger
State/Location: SA

Post by laurena grieger »

no, we supply glasses for our students
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Just going through this old post, we are having problems with our safety glasses breaking. The type we have are basic spectacle safety glasses, cost $5 each and this year only, we have had about 8 pairs broken, 6 of them have 'snapped' inbetween the lenses, the part that sits across the nose, with a vertical break. I can only think the kids are breaking them by snapping them. I have checked all of them and see no weakness or cracks, and yet there goes another pair. It is only in the classes of 1 teacher who insists that they are all faulty, should be sent back to the supplier, because they just break in the kids hands, I have had many 'discussions' about the care and use of the safety glasses, and in saying that I am not gentle when I wash them, and have never broken a pair. This year is the only time they have been broken too, have probably lost 2-3 pairs in the last 3 years, and not from breakage. Is anyone experiencing safety glasses just breaking, or am I just the nasty lab lady blaming the kids for being too rough.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I have also emailed the supplier who was checking with the manufacturer.
Cheers
Lisa
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

I know this is an old thread .... but here's what we did this year! Sorry Lisa... ours are all AOK....

We made our kids all buy their own this year from the school as part of their bookpacks. We were sick of the kids complaining about scratched lenses even though they were the ones who tossed them into the containers. I spent hours cleaning them.

The new ones were divvied out during the first prac lesson & are kept in the lab in year level plastic containers. So they've never been home.

Students are supposed to bring their own named pouch or clip lock bag to keep them in & we haven't worked out the cleaning issue yet - do we send them home or do we wash them each term...

This was a voluntary purchase so if they already had some then they could bring them in as long as they met Aust standards. We've had a few who haven't managed it yet & so far they have sat out of the prac & we have rung their parents & told them they can still purchase them from school (I ordered lots of extras).

WOrking well so far - the kids seem to be more careful because if they break then they get to take them home & explain to Mum & Dad why they need another pair. I don't have to clean them every 5 minutes & we sent out a note that parents need to let us know if their kids have conjunctivitis or similar so we can wash them after each use just in case.

Hope it helps. It works I spose because our bookpacks are partially bought from school & partially BYO.

Kel 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Rita

Post by Rita »

We buy the $2.80exc GST safety glasses from Hepworths.
Some sets have lasted years. The ones that don't last are the ones that have arms burnt in the bunsen, the lenses with eyes drawn on with permanent marker and broken arms from excessive student silliness.

Rita
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Thanks Kel & Rita,

I didnt think they should just break in 2, :redcard: for no reason. I am going to suggest that they buy their own for next year, :clap3:

Cheers
Lisa
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

Hi
We have the same ones as you (I think). we have had some break in the same place (middle). This only happens when students put them on the top of their heads and pull them roughly from there. Safety Glasses do not just break for no reason.
Diana