Water testing

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree
State/Location: NSW

Water testing

Post by ellice »

To people using Streamwatch,
Can the kit be used for testing sea water? I have some kids who want to test faecal levels at different beaches, and I had an idea the Streamwatch kit was only for freshwater. Any help would be appreciated.
Ellice.
lada

Re: Water testing

Post by lada »

Dear Ellice,
Our group is testing Dee Why creek near a lagoon and the salinity at hight tide is very high. I think the coliform can be tested by streamwatch kit. It will, at least, give them a good indication.
Happy testing :thumbup: :grin:
lada
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Would you get different bugs in salt water than in fresh? surely a salt water bug would not survive fresh, and Vice versa???Ian
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

I always thought faecal was faecal, no matter where it was!!!
lada

Post by lada »

The concentration in salt water might be lower, but the test will still show up if the faecal coliform is present. :yuck: 8O
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

A question for the brains trust:
We have an old Streamwatch kit that has not been used much in the years I have been here. Now we are looking to do dissolved oxygen tests and hardness tests, we have the chemicals but no instructions. :? #-o
Can anyone help with some instructions, or where to find them? :beg:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Do hope these help you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
J
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thank you, Labbie :clap3: :clap3:
Will have a close look at the reagents in these instructions and see if they match what we've got. Might be able to fudge something. :giggle:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Quick question; I have a teacher wanting to do depth study on water quality, we have a large blue green algae problem in two local areas, one being closed to the public but accessible from private property. From a W.H.& S issue should students be taking samples for testing from these areas. My understanding for microbiological (plating) would be no. Can anyone give me any insight on this matter? if any area of testing would be considered safe?

Thanks is advance.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Of course this scenario is full of risks, but it would come down to a decision from higher levels. Is the land owner happy to have students on their property? The big issue is, what are the ages of the students and the number? A group of 3 x Year 12 students is a difference kettle of fish to a class of Year 9s (scary!).
Is it possible for one or two staff members to collect the water and take it back to the students? It really should be two people going - another WHS issue. Regardless of how the students obtain the water, they will need to take all precautions to prevent being contaminated with the water. Again, consider the ages of the students. Is it really worthwhile?