Science Week

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Science Week

Post by Kathryn »

Anyone doing anything exciting for Science Week this year?

Kathryn :crazy:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Science Week

Post by Labbie »

Slime
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rita

Post by Rita »

For Science Week we had our Year 11 Physics class (with teachers of course) make ice-cream using Liquid Nitrogen. Every day of the week had two different flavours and we sold out each day. It was a big hit!
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

For science week we did:

Unveiling of our new science block poster board
Kids made solar grasshopper jitterbugs
We had 2 chefs flown up to do molecular gastronomy with staff and students
We had a graffiti artist come in and paint our corridor wall with sciencey stuff
We let off rockets in the oval
We judged the annual Rube Goldberg machine

Very busy week
DSC00987a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smiley

Post by smiley »

You win! :D
Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Science week !! What science week???
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

I'm with Rae, what science week? I have been away in the first part of term with pneumonia, my HOD has been away with pneumonia, who had time to think of science week? Not us and never in the category nickyw did! Congratulations on an excellent Science week with great activities! :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Yes I agree too!! CONGRATULATIONS on having motivated and interested staff who want to promote science to their students.

Our teachers can barely see the way ahead with the expectations placed upon them. We still don't have scope and sequences for the year or programs even one topic ahead. We lurch from topic to topic with no clear directions as to where the end of the tunnel is!
I feel the tunnel is caving in!!
lada

Post by lada »

Agree with Rae,
same here, teachers are ran off their feet. We had 2 prac teachers, one left after 3 days never to be seen again and the other mature student, had change profession from a lawyer to become a teacher because " they have it easy". Well after first week, he is exhausted, arrived very late this morning, because "he had to take some work homeyesterday and did not finish until midnight so he slept in". It is not what he expected, needless to say, he will not be working here.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Solar Grasshopper Jitterbugs .....did students make them in class or was it a lunch time activity/display?.....do you disassemble before each class? how many did you have?
The students would love them here. I hadn't heard of them before today. Had a quick look on google and found some on sale in America for $7.00 (but not selling to overseas).
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I just saw them in Prof Bunsen catalog $4.80. Spiders too $6.50.
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

DSC00940a.jpg
No professor bunsen sell the grasshoppers already made up. We bought 40 KITS from Jaycar $9.95 the kids made them up in lunch lesson very cool.

Makes me so happy that I have a science staff all eager to promote science. My HOD won the prime ministers award for Science teacher of the year 2014 so she is extremely good at what she does, so happy to work along side her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.