Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Re: Upgrading of 800 science laboratories (NSW public schools on

Post by cheltie »

Hey Rosalie,
I sent you a personal message but doesn't look like you got it.
I am supposed to be coming over this morning to look at your labs. the head teacher and another teacher are also coming. Do you know about this? Is it OK with you?
Helen
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

The wheels are slowly turning.

Today we had the Department of Commercearchitect and an electrical engineer here to look at and photograph our labs so that the plans can be drawn up for our upgrades. \:D/

It seems they were a little ahead of themselves last September when we had the media and local MP here saying that tenders were being called. There arn't even any plans yet!! 8O

At least that means that they wont be starting over the holidays, now it's most likely 2nd term. Pleny of time for me to clean and pack up.

Cindi, Just wondering how things are going with the upgrade down at Goulburn?

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a restful and safe holiday.

Wendy
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Hi all what a surprise today was!!!!!!!!!! :-o :-o :-o
BE WARNED!!!
I have only 1 week to clear out the Labs(6) and preproom.
I am excited, anxious and worried about time, but with the support of all the staff, etc I am confident that it will be done. I was inpressed in the construction time plan,(if no delays).
Thankyou all for expressing problems such as double sinks, shower drains etc, as I was able to mention this and notes were made.
well will keep you posted on how our refurbishment goes. VERY EXCITED! \:D/
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Get your SAM to do their job and allocate another SAO to help you clear out equipment - you don't need to do it all yourself.

If not, teachers and students - they won't be doing much else in the last week of term and you can take a lot of the effort and stress out of the job ahead!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Well done
and good luck
I had help for the GA & the Kids it made easy well less stressful and we did it over a few days and it is great to empty a room and move on to the next on.
GOOD LUCK
When they are finished and everything is back in the Prep Room & Labs it is haven
NOONA
Merry Xmas =D> =D> :w00t: :w00t: :wub: :wub:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thinking of you, Trish - what a memorable last week it will be, but how GOOD are you going to feel afterwards!!!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

We had the architect and an electrical engineer here to look at and photograph our labs and prep room yesterday. At least we know that something is happening. I dont mind the wait as long as it is going to happen.
He had plans drawn up and said that probably around middle of next year they will start in this area but could not tell us yet which school will be going first as it all has to be tendered yet :coffee: .

At least it is going to happen is one good thing I suppose. We are better off than so many other schools that are not getting done. I am happy to wait till last as long as we get done.

KIMMY
chrisanne
Job Title: sass science
Suburb: kempsey

Post by chrisanne »

we have moved out of our classrooms :thumbup: and taken what we think we will need for term 1 [-o< .And as we are getting 3 new labs :D our 4th is the new store room. Rushed to get it done we can now sit back and have :coffee: . I will kept you in the loop. :thumbup:
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

Glad you got it all done i think you shoudl be having a wine :drunk: instead of a cuppa :coffee: . well done to you all. Hope the labs come on quickly for you.
KIMMY
trish armstrong

Hi all, thanks for the vote of confidence. :thumbup:
Well first thing this morning we ordered a shipping container,which thank goodness was delivered about 3pm this arvo. So all day i and my hd and some helpful students packed up most of one preproom,but the box's are still in the hallway, will load them in the shipping container on monday morn. I asked for a replacement lab assistant to work Mon,tue, Wed,as theres still some of my normal work to be done. It's not till you actually start to pack up all the equipment that you realise how much we actually have.Thanks christine for the phone call, I forgot to mention that i also asked for drains if possible in the emergency showers at the meeting on thursday.
HELPFUL HINT> if any schools are about to start the process if you are able to attend the meetings that the principal, HD are invited to, GO.
As i was able to talk about a few little hints all you guys have mentioned and the construction team wrote these down and listened, so hopefully it may help.
So my plan is to finish the main preproom on Mon,and start the other preproom, as they are adding an emergency shower to that room and moving the doors.
And hopefully will have at least one Lab emptied.
My thought is if I achieved one lab a day I still will be able to have a holiday. [-o<
Thanks for listening :-({|= its good to know that others Know what we are all going through, As Taree, glouster and kempsey are all about to start. how exciting!!!

Will keep in touch, trish. :boring:
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi Wendy

Thanks for thinking of me. Our classrooms and prep room are still in disarray and this week I have to clean out another classroom so next year. So next year I will hopefully have to sort out three classrooms and prep room during teaching time. But thats next year and I plan to have a good break.

CC
trish armstrong

Wow, i am soooooo tired and sore! :boring:
I have mucsles in places that I didn't know exist.
3 days down, 3 packing days to go! :thumbup:
I would like to announce that I am officially 90% packed. Have totally filled a shipping container, Have thrown out alot of stuff, I had draws and draws of rocks and had no idea what to do with them, so I ended up cleaning up my green house(dirt floor) and have made a beautiful natural rock bed. The teachers are impressed as they say now they can make a challenge of kids to go out and choose certain rocks and see if they get the right variety.I couldn't think of anything else for such short notice, but it looks great. Wish I had it at home. Have witnessed sqwabbles between staff over cupboards, chairs to be relocated in the school. Not Fun. :-| This afternoon I actually missed setting up experiments, other sass staff are all talking about next year, mate I haven't even had time to think about xmas. I am happy that it is going on well, But would not wish the packup time frame on anyone(WINGE,WINGE). :-({|=
I have been lucky that my SAM was able to call in the lab assistant who i replaced when she retired and we have worked like trojens.
After tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to set myself up in the spare offside preproom, and prepare mentally for 2009. :coffee:
Closing the shipping container today, My scary thought was that in a few months time I have to unpack it. :-(

Will celebrate when ready for the contractors, \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D>
Trish
noona

Post by noona »

Hi Trish
I know just how you feel I have just finished ceaning out the container and giving to the GA.
It is all worth it in the end think of the clean and bright the new Prep room will be and the labs are just great.
I still smile as I walk into the Prep Room and think how lucky am I.
The teacher just love the new labs the colour and the Wet & Dry areas .
It is a great thing when you want to come to work every day to such a great Prep Room.
Have a great holiday.
I will be up your way at Xmas at HARRINGTON gods own country to visit my best friend as this may be her last Xmas.
Happy new klabs
NOONA
trish armstrong

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :grin: :) =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
TODAY I FINISHED PACKING AND HAVE MOOVED OUT
It's done. Well now we all know that with two assistants working flat out for 4 days you can empty 2 preprooms and 4 labs of all equipment and benches etc at short notice.
Just make sure you have 2 storage rooms and a shipping container and an old green house for all the rocks( :cheesy: )
Tomorrow I will make up some draw labels and do some activities ready for 2009. Then I am ready for holidays.
I can't wait for this time next year when I will have it all unpacked and this will be behind us.
Will keep in touch.

Trish.
trish armstrong

Hi all,
Today was first day back and the labs have been totally stripped and the work has begun :D , but no-one was working today :cheesy: . We have been told that it is 2 weeks behind and the plans have to go back to the architect due to certain plumbing and room size reasons.My teachers have asked me to ask all those who have already been through this or are midway or near completion to tell us how long it is/has taken your school, just so we have a little idea on time to expect. We were originally told 10 weeks and recieved a time schedule but this is not the case.
Please reply. [-o<
Trish
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Murphy is alive and well I see!
CC
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn

Post by CC »

Hi all,

Got back to school last Tuesday bright and early to start moving everything into the labs and guess what....they weren't finished. I spent the first four days trying to find something constructive to do when in actual fact I couldn't do anything because they hadn't been signed over. Monday this week we could move in and all the pracs also started so I'm behind the eight ball, but I love my new prep room and when it is all sorted I am going to love it even more we have the usual whiny teachers that nothing you do for them is good enough, but overall it is all looking great.

Hope everybody is having a good start to the New Year.

CC
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

Hi Cindy

Great to hear that your new labs are finished. I must come and visit, I am sure that they will put my 36 year old labs to shame, I would love to be on the 'upgrading list'.

I'll phone.

Vicki
noona

Post by noona »

Hi Girls
Glad to see cc you have a new prep room land labs as I have had mine for 1/2 year now and love it and the Teachers will soon get used to 8 benches.
As we were a project school we had lots of hold ups but it all takes time and is worth the wait. I have had so many Teachers & Labbies come to visit and they all say the same think can't wait till we get ours done.
So chin up and it will be all worth it in the end.
Noona =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

Hi guys

:D :D So finally have a date for the start of the lab upgrades here, July the 8th personally cant wait and am very excited!I gave the HT the heads up on the issues raised by those of you who have already gone through it so thanks for all the info. We are having six labs and one prep room done, and the school may pay for the other main prep room, and ive been promised a container for storage so all looking good. One concern I have is in my main prep room I have 156 draws yet most of the storage seems to be units with cupboards or 4 or so draws. As Im planning to put the bulky goods in the compactus has any one any feedback on the draw issue. Im wondering if I should keep all the old draws and stack them in the cupboards as we cant afford heaps of new trays to keep everthing neat and contained. Also did wall mounted draining racks come in the prep room as they dont appear to be included. Also it states dishwasher "TBC" is that to be confirmed, did any one get one???

Yours in anticipation,

MariaC