FUME CUPBOARDS

for anything else that doesn't fit.
coxy
State/Location: NSW

Re: FUME CUPBOARDS

Post by coxy »

Just to update everyone - if you are still interested!! I have been emailed from the OH&S person at Port Macquarie Tafe who told me the fume cupboards HAVE been repaired. However, neither the Principal, my HT, or our OH&S person have heard anything. There is no sticker on the fume cupboards, and I have still refused to use them at all. I am no longer mixing any solutions (still living on stock supplies I made up at the end of 2006)! Nobody still seems to give a damn here, so I guess I am getting to that stage too. The teachers all went to Uni, have that added education, so they can now mix their own chemicals. I haven't even got into trouble for refusing to mix anymore. What is happening to the world?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

MY FUME CUPBOARDS yes cupboards two of them arrive tomorrow at 7am. It has been nearly 2 years in getting to this stage. I have not been any to get into a prep room for over 4 days now, due to workman in their painting etc, I just can not wait. Oh bliss :wink2:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Great news Sue! I'm very happy for you! I hope they turn out to be worth the wait :)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

My new fume cupboards, It is a little computer, with bells and things. a Display screen/panel displaying time & date, current status of the gas & power Supplies. Exhaust fan, Fume scrubber pump, with clear legible messages on the LCD screen. Just got to learn to use it. syncroflow auto/boost, Spray bar, timer, password, wonder if it says good morning :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Regards Labbie

Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

WOW Sue, you must be so happy and impressed!! =D>
Will they send you on PD for a couple of days to learn how to drive it?
:cheesy: Cheers
\:D/ Jen
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes could be a good idea, a week somewhere nice?????????
Regards Labbie

smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I know, come North! We'll teach you what you probably already know, only you can wear shorts while you're learning! :thumbup: I can even create a really good looking certificate on Publisher for you to take back. We can even research the benefits of fume cupboards on board outer reef explorer boats. I'm sure we can write up a course that sounds legit.

Cheers, K 8-)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi,

I obviously need to get a new fume cupboard too, because I definetly need to go on that "coürse".

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Lorrae
labman
State/Location: SA

Post by labman »

Smiley,
I'm with Lorrae!! As yet another cold front sweeps into Adelaide, I can picture myself updating my "fume cupboard skills" whilst floating around the Great Barrier Reef. I think that would "refresh" my memory quite nicely. Count me in!!
Cheers,
Lisa
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hey Smiley!
Put me down for it as well... it's getting to be like Winter here :cheesy: with the days not warming up very much and the nights becoming frosty.

Sue,
Don't worry too much about the cupboard saying Good Morning... I mean, let's get practical here, can it make a decent cup of coffee?
Lou
lita*

Post by lita* »

Hi Sue

I have a new fume cupboard which I am entirely grateful for, as I am pregnant. The previous lab assistant complained and complained until she got it. Result: she wasnt liked : but you have to respect her because my environment is that much safer. (how much not sure but a bit!)
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The work men are still putting the bells and whistle's on the fume cupboards. They worked all day saturday so our GA has told us. The plumber is in this morning. Believe we are to have a grand opening some time this week, with the local newspaper. I hate my photo taken. Do'nt think it can make coffee or tea, It has been programmed to light up on the display screen good morning Mrs Rowley and Students. Chap asked if I wanted Sue or Mrs Rowley, with the students seeing it, went for Mrs Rowley, same as our name tag.
Regards Labbie

macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi, Can anyone help me out, our fume cupboard has failed stickers over it from the last Company which serviced it, 2 years ago. Is there any contractors in southern NSW Wagga, Albury or Griffith area that anyone knows, an address or phone number would be great. So we can get it up and running for next year. Since they have to be checked every year. thanks :-({|=
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hey Macca,
I know we have had fume cupboards checked for this year and the sticker they left has
Laboratory System Group Pty Ltd
Ph; 03 8720 9000
They are located in Kilsyth Victoria. The only other suggestion I could give you is ring Charles Sturt University and ask who do the fume cupboards for them or Yanco Dept. of Ag., or some place like those.
We have been informed that fume cupboard check just has to be in accordance with the Australian Safety Standards of fume cupboards. Your local library may have a copy. I think it translates to, there is no set formula to go by, but if you show that you have your fume cupboard regularly checked (which could mean only every two years according to usage) then that is all that is required. I'm probably not much help, but I tried.
Lou. :-?
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi, Looby,
Thanks for that I will give it a try. I have a fantastic HT who was backing me all the way in not using it, which would mean no chemicals by end term 1 2009. Wagga diocease (labs) should get together next year. Have a good break, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Thanks again, Macca \:D/
Loopy

Post by Loopy »

Hey Macca,
Sounds like a great idea. Coxy sent me some stuff for getting together a meeting of lab tekkies and am very keen to try "a gathering" sometime next year. Right now just trying to survive the christmas
spiral and clean up before the finish of term next week. Have a cool Yule, and splendiferous new year, see you on chemtalk next year!
Lou.