Help Sassi

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
souj
State/Location: WA

Re: Help Sassi

Post by souj »

Oh, Kim! Don't you hate it when they don't work- I have had more enzyme pracs fail than I care to admit :whistling2: We did have success with this one though. I blended about 6 green capsicum with 100ml distilled water- made about 500ml capsicum juice, and used freshly made 10% hydrogen peroxide. Repeated with the yellow. It worked a treat and my teachers were very happy \:D/ \:D/ Wish I could help you with what went wrong for you...maybe it was just the type of capsicum if your peroxide has been shown to work :unsure:
kimm
State/Location: QLD

Post by kimm »

OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh! 8O Why didn't you tell me about the tongue thing earlier. It dammed well worked - and gave wonderful results - but only if I stuck my tongue out just ever so slightly to the left. We have put it down to our qld capsicums - bought the last lot on special - we recon that the yellow ones were just green ones painted yellow. Get what you pay for.

Another question for you all?? If red capsicums are just ripened green capsicums ........ what colour are green (unripe) yellow capsicums??? And the same for orange ones?? We were talking about it today and I really do not know. Are they all green when unripe??

Thanks for your help and I still can not work out what we did different other than the left handed tongue thing.
Cheers
Kim
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Post by Sassi »

I really dont know what to say.... It just must have been the tongue thing :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Capsicums go from green, yellow, orange and red, same with chillis.... I think, at least I was pretty sure thats how it was, until I just remembered that some red capsicums have clear green parts.. :unsure: A freak of nature perhaps?

Glad it finally worked for you!

Sass :D
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Ahhhh wonderful google :wub: So I found out what the difference is, green capsicum ripens to red, whereas yellow capsicums are a hybrid of green capsicums and ripen to orange... So there we go, cleared that one up for us!

Sass :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Sassi - that's good to know, but what about the 'black' ones - where do they come in?
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
kimm

Post by kimm »

Sooooooo - on that knowledge - since there is enzymes in green capsicums and minimal in the yellow , could we summize that there would be enzymes in red capsicums and minimal in orange. As they are both just ripe versions of the green and yellow.....? I am going to give it a go with the peroxide ...when i find some time.
Have a great friday
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi everyone and Sassi (8 weeks to go!),
We have just finished a year 12 prac exam with the capsicum enzyme thingy that Sassi kindly shared with us, and I just wanted to pass on to Sassi that the teacher was really pleased with it and declared "your learn-ned colleague is a legend!" (Yes, that's you Sassi!)
Hope that re-inforces to you that you are appreciated Sassi all the way to Wagga and back!
=D> :clap3: =D> :clap3: =D>
Many thanks for your experiment again,
Lou P.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Ahhh thanks :wub: You make me feel happy today :D So glad it worked for you!

Sass :giggle:
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum from Adelaide.....Hiya!
Last night at a local lab manager's meeting a wonderful labbie told us the URL for Chemtalk & did a demo of the capsicum enzyme prac that she'd found on the site, needless to say there are probably a bunch of Adelaide labbies registering today to get their hands on it after stinking out our labs with liver pracs for years!! Capsicum looks & smells MUCH nicer.
Sassi......would you be able to email me a copy of the prac please? I'd love to trial it & show our biology teachers, then maybe I can say ciao to raw liver forever!! :clap3:

Thanks very much,

:D
bindibadgi
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Welcome to chemtalk, we feel sure you will really enjoy this site.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Welcome Bindibadgi,

If you do a search for enzymes I think you will find a whole thread with lots of different options for this prac as well as the capsicum prac that Sassi attached as a file.

Hope you enjoy Chemtalk. I love it and learn something new everyday and have a laugh along with it.

Lorrae
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Welcome to chemtalk, you will love it as much as I do, but be aware it is totally addictive :wink2:

I merged the enzyme test with this thread, meant to do it the other way around, d'OH! So have a look here now, I am pretty sure I attached the capsicum prac and results etc there.

Enjoy,

Sass :giggle:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Welcome Bindibadgi :-)

I agree this site is addictive. You won't be able to help yourself. :crazy: :crazy:
When you're looking at the enzyme pracs you'll also find the one using potatoes, which our teachers are very happy with. :clap3: :clap3:
I'm happy too because there's not too much mess and NO smell!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
J
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Estelle
This should help you somewhat, if you haven't done the potato prac already.
Julie
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Enzyme prac

Post by bindibadgi »

Here's another alternative to liver etc if you want to do an enzyme prac.
We haven't done this version for years, but one of our teachers resurrected it & it's worked nicely with our IBs this week. I think the original prac idea came from Southern Biological & we just reworked it a bit. You can also find different versions online if you google it.
It uses apple & pectinase, but you can adapt it to use other fruits if you want to compare them. We've just done apple vs tomato. Any tinned fruit will do as long as there's no added sugar, & you can get pectinase powder from any beer brewing shop.
When we first did it years ago the kids broke heaps of 50ml measuring cylinders, so it's best to go with plastic beakers & cylinders if you've got some.
Pectinase Prac Method.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
smiley

Re: Enzyme prac

Post by smiley »

Love it, downloaded it, sent it to my boss. Thanks :D
Cheers, K 8-)
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey, oh wonderful Moderators. It's great that you've merged these posts, but can I just comment that the title of "Help Sassi" is a lot less logical than "Enzyme Prac" or whatever it was before. Unless you've been on this forum for a lo-o-ong time, it doesn't make sense. :?
Cheers, K 8-)
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Good point, smiley.

I haven't been able to download this file. Tried this morning, and kept getting logged out. Same now. Is anyone else having this problem?
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Sunray is still locked out saying it dosen't recognise her password
smiley

Post by smiley »

Lizzie,

I downloaded it just fine. Want me to email it?
Cheers, K 8-)