SASS Conference 23 & 24 November

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

SASS Conference 23 & 24 November

Post by Robbie »

Greetings all,

I was not able to attend this conference as the Science Department had a big event on and it was all hands on deck.

Can anyone fill me in on what Glen Sawle said about the latest requirements of the CSIS package? This was scheduled for the Friday morning.

I have just about finished printing off all the MSDSs and now I am waiting for our GA to fit an extra shelf in the prep room to accommodate the many arch lever files. It seems like I have been doing this for ever!

Regards,

Robbie
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

MSD Sheets

Post by Mother »

I recently had a meeting with the Occupational Health and Safety rep.for this area and she told me that at their next meeting set down for 14th. December, they will be discussing the many print-out pages for each chemical.6 to 7 sheets for one chemical is a terrible waste of paper and a lot to sort through, especially if there is an emergency and one needs information quickly!!! A one page summary sheet may be enough for schools.I will let you all know what that outcome is.
Cheers
Mother
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Glen spoke of

Post by Labbie »

Glen manily spoke of the coming changes, that should take place next year. Very little that I could make out, some chemicals that will not be need in schools, which Steve Nugent (May be spelt wrong) also talked about. Glen was very easy side tracked onto other items. And I feel he did not complete his talk at all. We need to be signed off, in our training of the CSIS.

Perhaps others can remember more before the row started.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

All I really remember is that he said we do not need to do RA's on chemicals in CSIS Appendix 2 if they are used according to the protocol outlined. RA's only need to be done for black dot chemicals and for chemicals used in a way outside the guidelines.
He also said that our only duty of care is to ourselves - not to the students or the teachers! He was quite emphatic about that.
Carol
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Carol - does that mean we do not need to do RA's for individual experiments as long as the chemicals involved are being used within the guidelines?

Kathryn
me
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Castle Hill High
Suburb: Castle Hill

Post by me »

Hi Kathryn,
Thats what Glen said. As long as u follow the guidelines and that the "approved chemical user codes" (page 5 appendix D) are followed then no RA is required.

Tracey
judygee

SASS Conference 23 & 24 November.

Post by judygee »

Don't know about otheres, BUT I am really curious about the ROW!!!!!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

SASS conference 23 & 24 November

Post by lizzieb »

Hi everyone,

I took rough notes during Glen's talk:

*RA NOT necessary for most chemicals in pracs IF the guidelines for use are followed.
As Whspa said

*Reduce the amount of chemicals stored - ie. meaning the stockpile some older schools have.

*Saliva is allowed for digestion experiments, but each student can ONLY use their own.

*Cheek cells are NOT allowed.

*There vwas some discussion about the user codes, and he agreed that putting up charts to show the various codes and colours up on the wall in Labs was a good idea.

*He suggested that if senior students are demonstrating experiments to a younger audience (eg. orientation or open days), that they be 'walked through' a RA first.

*Changes to the HAZARDOUS GOODS Legislation will be incorporated into a new CSIS package next year. He said this is our opportunity to ask for any changes we'd like to see, and invited us to email him with our suggestions.
Find him through DET - curriculum support - Science

* Re training - he suggested we do the self-paced training from the CSIS, Vol. 1.

* Our Duty of Care is ONLY to ourselves.

That's all I wrote down,

Liz

[/i]
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

All very interesting peolple, but..........what about the ROW??????
Elizabeth