Risk Management - Far North Style

for anything else that doesn't fit.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Risk Management - Far North Style

Post by smiley »

Ok, so I know I really enjoy all the unique aspects of living in the Far North, but here's another one for the Troppo Diaries:

A Leadership Camp was conducted over the holidays in one of the remote Aboriginal communities on the western side of Cape York. It was as hot as Hades, and dry as toast, so naturally swimming was high on the list of fun things to do in the afternoon. Trouble is, 99% of the waterholes up there are croc-infested, and NOBODY would swim in the sea, that's where all the BIG salties are. :w00t:

So what was the Risk Management plan for swimming in croc-infested waterholes. Why simple! You get an initiated adult man who belongs to the crocodile totem. He gets in the water first, tells the crocs that these are just his lads who need a swim to cool down. All kids get in and swim. All kids get out. Initiated guy gets out last. Nobody gets eaten. :thumbup:

It worked! Nobody got eaten, and all the participants were absolutely confident that the situation was all in hand. Don't know what they made of the RM back in Brisbane, but hey.

P.S. The initiated guy fetched the water every time too!
Cheers, K 8-)
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Risk Management - Far North Style

Post by Rowyrow »

WOW! thats scary but kinda cool. Still wouldnt catch me swimmin in any waterholes around here! Went jet sking at the beach a few weeks back and saw a 2M saltie eeeekkkkk! 8O
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

I love it :)
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Post by noona »

Love it
CAN WE SEND SO TEACHERS TO TRY THAT ONE I CAN RECCOMEND A FEW HAHAHAH :giggle:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Breathe Rosalie breathe!

Well we could always send you an irukanji jellyfish in a jar, and you could kind of brush past one or two individuals. Would that help? (Now where's the smiley for "innocent smile").

I went to the Science Forum yesterday in Toowoomba, and it was pretty good. Keynote speaker sucked severely, but the electives were OK.
Cheers, K 8-)