Support for School Science Laboratory Technicians Forum

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Ev
State/Location: VIC

Support for School Science Laboratory Technicians Forum

Post by Ev »

FYI

“School science laboratory technicians play an important role in facilitating hands-on science activities for students ensuring safe school laboratory practices”

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Ministers/Gilla ... 92553.aspx

Ev
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: Support for School Science Laboratory Technicians Forum

Post by Lis »

Very interesting...has anyone from here been invited to attend the forum, would love to hear the feedback

Cheers \:D/
Lisa
cosmo
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
State/Location: VIC

Post by cosmo »

mmm...potential :thumbup:
cheers
Kate
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I am ashamed :unsure: :-? to admit that I do not know a thing about SETA,
who are they? anyone member?

Science Education Technicians Australia
Last edited by Jazz on 19 May 2010, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Jazz
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

I have also never heard of this group. SETA
Should we all be members?
Is there any one out there who has joined?
Helen
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

"The forum will discuss issues and challenges in training and supporting school science and technology technicians, including developing a training framework and guidelines and will be funded through a $20,000 grant from the Federal Government."

Is that $20,00 for the forum or the training framework and guidelines, either way how far do they think $20,000 is going to go.

Forum 30 to attend, $667. each to fly, accommodation,(or will it be Sydney labbies only) feed us, speakers
Training framework and guidelines $20,000 divided by "how many labbies Australia
wide" :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Has she heard of "Chemtalk" :giggle: :thumbup:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Sorry just had to add 980 labbies on Chemtalk alone, $20.40each :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

There are no problems that SETA can solve that we haven't already solved right here :clap3: :clap3:

No seriously it will be interesting to see the outcome of this forum, I hope that the 30 they choose are from all over Australia.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I have never heard of SETA the only training for Labbies in NSW is the Conference in November run by Labbie for Labbies and the govement never gives us any money . :redcard:
We did ask once but the paper work for it was about 8 different forms and then we had no way of knowing if we would get it in maybe two years time.
So $20.000.00 is not going to go far Just ask us we could have told her that #-o #-o
I will get off my little box now and cook tea
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

After a bit of searching here on Chemtalk, I discovered we have discussed SETA before.

It was back when there was the national survey that was set up by Professor Hacking From Edith Cowan University in Perth. There is a thread called "Science Education Technicians Australia (SETA)" in which Teresa explains who they are.

It is just my thoughts but from reading the results of the survey (which hopefully can be found here http://www.asta.edu.au/media/policy/lab_tech_report ) in several recommendations on pages 6 and 7 it talks about a national forum to discuss various things. This initial survey, I understand was funded by Australian Government DEEWR which is where the media release about the forum has come from.

In short maybe they are actually acting on what those that were able to complete the survey suggested. 8O

I have no proof, only what seems like links in a chain.
Wendy
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Wendy, Thank you so much for reminding us, I had almost forgotten about the survey, as the DET schools in NSW did not get a chance to do it. So nice to see some one helping us all.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Dear Chemtalkers,
Forgive me in advance for a long post. However I want to make sure that I have covered all the questions that have been asked here. Fibreweb AKA Wendy you are spot on!

SETA See http://www.groups.edna.edu.au/course/view.php?id=796
SETA is a group of State representatives of science technicians from the Secondary education sector in Australia. The SETA membership consists of two representatives from each State or Territory, nominated by the respective State/Territory association or self nominated in the absence of an association.

It is a means of expanding the horizons of associations and provides a mechanism for greater sharing of information across State borders. It is not set-up to over-ride or replace the associations in each State as these groups play a vital role in providing many benefits to individuals on a State level.

The aim is to provide a reference point and recognized platform to channel the needs and views of Australian School Science Technicians at a NATIONAL level to other science associations, government departments, educational sectors and interested parties. I am the 2010 Facilitator for SETA and these are the current SETA members.

Australian Capital Territory:
Sylvia Towers (sylvia.towers @ ed.act.edu.au)

New South Wales:
Margaret Croucher (mcr @ lasalle.nsw.edu.au)
Wendy Cottee (jwc @ sydgram.nsw.edu.au)

Northern Territory:
No current member. Expressions of interest welcome

Queensland:
Mandy Timmers (mtimm33 @ eq.edu.au) (President QEST)
Jan McGaw (jmcga3 @ eq.edu.au) (Vice-President QEST)

South Australia:
Desi Karlovassitis (despina.karlovassitis @ loxtonhs.sa.edu.au) (President SA Lab Managers Assoc)

Tasmania:
Lisa Young (Lisa.young @ education.tas.gov.au) (President TALT)
Jennifer Westren (jennifer.westren @ education.tas.gov.au) (TALT)

Victoria:
Geoff Gleadall (ggleadall @ brightongrammar.vic.edu.au) (President LTAV)
Dale Carroll (dcarroll @ geelongcollege.vic.edu.au) (LTAV)

Western Australia:
Teresa Gigengack (tgigengack @ wbc.wa.edu.au) (SETA Facilitator)
Marilyn Miles (mmiles @ jwacs.wa.edu.au) (Chair LABNETWEST Inc)

National Forum
The national forum is being held as a result of the recommendations contained in the report of the national survey conducted in 2008 by Professor Mark Hackling at ECU and funded by DEEWR. See http://www.deewr.gov.au/Schooling/Progr ... report.pdf

The Australian Science Teaching Association (ASTA) in consultation with a working party will invite up to 30 participants to the forum. Participants will include representatives from Science Education Technicians Australia (SETA) and all three education sectors: state and territory departments of Education, Catholic and Independent school sectors. As numbers are limited, attendance is by invitation only.

We appreciate the recognition of our role and the financial support given by DEEWR. This forum is the starting place to help facilitate the implementation of the recommendations from this report.

If you would like to send me any feedback regarding the report that might contribute to the discussion at the forum please do so direct to me at my email address above.

CONASTA
CONASTA is the annual conference of the Australian Teachers Association and is being held at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) from 4-7 July 2010. See http://www.conasta.edu.au/
The program contains workshops and a keynote address that have been tailored specifically to laboratory technicians. It is not too late to register. It would be a great opportunity to meet fellow technicians and teachers. Please consider attending.

I hope that this has answered all your questions.
Kind Regards
Teresa
(Please note that the spaces in the above email addresses need to be removed when using them)