Chemical Room exhaust systems

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Room exhaust systems

Post by macca »

Just want to check with everybody else our prep. room and labs were refurbished in 2006, I was lucky enough to get 2 chemical rooms, 1 for dilutes and 1 for solids/concentrates. We have one external exhaust system which does both rooms, which at the moment the motor has seized, it's my understanding that they are to run 24/7 this is also backed by the fact that there is no switch to turn it off.

Does anyone know for sure, that it should be running 24/7 as this has been questioned. :coffee:

Thanks
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Chemical Room exhaust systems

Post by Lyn »

Yes it has to run 24/7. I have one installed in a chemical storage area on the senior campus and two attached to separate under the bench chemical storage cupboards (corrosives and flammables) on the middle school campus. I don't have a switch for the senior extraction system. I have two switches for the motors on the other storage units. I was informed that the units are to run 24/7 so don't turn them off. Why should I argue with that. Now all I have to get is proper extraction systems set up for the very large chemical storage cupboards that I have in what I refer to as the chemical bunker. Opening the doors of the organics cupboard leads to a very overpowering experience. :yuck:
Lyn.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Thanks Lyn,
Our GA thinks different, including how my chemical room should be arranged!!!!!! On hearing this my HT just went WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, but I'm so proud I didn't even comment :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Macca, Right with you on difference of opinion between a GA (read Mr Filch) and a Labbie.

I asked for my aircon to run 24/7 in the Chem Store, given the temps we reach, like 11 1/2 months of the year, and I was told "Never used to be like that in my day..." Yeah, but we don't write in the clay with sticks any more either. :crazy:

How very restrained of you not to comment. That's what this forum is for - to comment to a like minded sympathetic crowd!
Cheers, K 8-)
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I run the exhaust system 24/7.
I put in a written complaint about the chem store 2 weeks ago because I slipped on the floor, which has like a covering of dew on it permanently now. Also the bottom of the exhaust vent has about 5mm of liquid in it with black greasy stuff in it.
Have had two inspections so far. The guy said that maybe the extraction fan bearings are worn, causing the black grease and the moisture on the floor, because it isn't working like it should. He also recommended that the floor be re -painted because the non slip surface has worn off after 10 years. He recommended that the glass doors that no longer slide properly need maintenance as well.
Verdict: They will fix the fan ,but all the rest will have to wait until we get it done on cyclic maintenance ( probably years away). Mainly because it will cost $6000??? Someone is ripping off the system I think. I offered to do it for $3000 :) the deputy Principal wouldn't take me up on the offer. geez how much can it cost to paint etc.

It will cost them a WHOLE lot more if I actually slip right over and happen to be carrying something at the same time.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

The exhaust in my chem store is on 24/7 and has no switch to turn it off. In fact cemented (flush with the floor) into the floor right infront of the door is a plaque that says
Chemical Storage
WARNING
Flashing Strobe Light
Indicates Exhaust
Fan Failure

and I even have the strobe light on the ceiling 8O, Dont know if it works though cause as far as I can tell the exhaust system has never failed!