potassium dichromate DG class?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

potassium dichromate DG class?

Post by Rowyrow »

hi everyone,
I got a bottle of Potassium Dichromate today with a chemical order and I'm confused about which DG class it is. The Small amount that we had given to us (because we didn't have any) from a neighbouring school is labeled as 5.1 Oxidising agent but the bottle I got yesterday is labelled 6.1 toxic, the MSDS I have from the supplier has 6.1 in it aswell but it also satates that it is a strong oxidiser. I have done a few google searches and the results area mix of 5.1 and 6. So I guess my question is where do I keep it? with my 5.1 chemicals or my 6.1 chemicals? and the sample I had given to us do I keep that it the 5.1 area because thats whats on the label or do I put it with the new bottle in 6? Oh and we don't have chemwatch or chemgoald or anything like that so I can't look it up there.
Help much appreciated!
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Re: potassium dichromate DG class?

Post by Narelle01 »

The NSW DET CSIS states that it is 6.1 / 5.1.
So you are correct!

This means you store it with the 6.1 as it is listed 1st ?
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

It is both a 5.1 and 6.1, so our's is stored with the oxidising substances, which should all be stored together.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

and also is is classified for Years 11-12.
The solution less that 0.5% is 6.1 only and for years 7-12
dime

Post by dime »

According to chemwatch it is a toxic then an oxidizer. So store it in the 6.1 (toxic) :D
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Their are a few chemicals that have sub codes. The 1st one is where you store it. But HCL when dulited does not go under class 8. But to make life easier I have a class 8 cupboard with all my HCL soultions in. They all have a diamond sticker on, but in some cases it is really not required. Just makes life easier for me. On our last edit, I was told this is just fine. If you go over with labeling it's fine, it is if you go under, that the problems start. Hope that makes sense.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Wouldn't it be wonderful if a person could come into the school and say "this is how to set up your store room" and "this is where these chemicals go" and "these are the stickers you put with this lot" and then we just had to continue it as new stock arrived? We all have different guidelines throughout Australia from OHS people, DET and wherever else, and we all have different sized store rooms, prep rooms, labs, and different needs and different 'specialty sciences' and I just want someone to walk in and say "this is how you can do it in your space". Well I'm off to dream some more as I clean up my prep room yet again and hope I get things right...
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I've had a look in CSIS which does state that the DGs be stored according to their primary classification, this means that there are probably "a few" things in our chem store that are not stored correctly, I think I will go with the flow for now because to rearrange could be quite complicated! I know the school passed its inspection only last year, so it can't be too bad. Without getting myself in knots looking at the layout, I'm thinking if an oxidising substance is primarily a group 6, but if I put it with the other toxic substances, does that mean it potentially could be near something that it could react to? 8O HELP! I'm getting a headache just thinking about it!
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Chemical Fairy's..
failing that I am sure the DET could find a consultant who will go around and do the store rooms for you, heck they employ OH&S consultants..... :-?
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

thanks guys I will leave it on the 6.1 shelf and move the other sample to this shelf aswell and add a 6 sticker to it. phew glad thats sorted.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin

Post by Lyn »

It may be DG6 but because it is a strong oxidiser I will continue to keep mine housed with the other oxidisers in a locked metal cabinet.
Lyn.
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Rosaliemb,
I replied to you PM yesterday but it's still sitting in my outbox and I dunno how to make it go
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Lyn
Seems like your method resolves my mind-numbing dilemma. May not be strictly correct, but it's not like we're not treating them as toxic substances also.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Rowyrow, the PM stays in your outbox until the recipient reads it. If it is in your out box then it has sent.