Risk Assessments.

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Risk Assessments.

Post by judygee »

Dear All - We all know the teacher is supposed to do the Risk Assessment during the pre-lab work prior to the actual practical however this mostly does not happen as most do not seem to have the time for the pre-lab work and, I find I am having what I consider extra reponsibility placed on me to see that the teacher has the RA (either a new form to complete - or to sign an already existing one) There does not seem to be much responsibility on their part - if an RA has not been done it is my fault because I forgot to put one in the tub!! How do others manage the RA's. I cannot seem to find anything sprecific about who is responsible and how to organise the RA write up in the CSIS folder. Your input would be appreciated. Cheers. Judy
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Re: Risk Assessments.

Post by tigger »

Hi Judygee,

I don't know about NSW but our risk assessments are on the back of the prac request sheet. This is filled out when the teacher is ordering the prac. It seems to work well. I also know of a lab tech who has the pracs on the computer with the risk assessments already filled in. It just needs to be printed out and the teacher only has to sign it. Don't know if this is helpful or not. :?
Tigger
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Our RAs are combined with the prac request form, so the teachers have to complete this form to get any equipment. I think it is their responsibility not ours to do the risk assessments.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Judy,
I do the RA's(we use Risk Assess software), and the teachers are to read & sign it before the prac can go ahead. I agree it is not really our responsibility to do them, but they dont get done otherwise, just more proof we are indispensible.
I file them in a folder on my desk for the current term, then I store them in year group folders in the prep room for 15months, which is their valid use by dates, and then in a box in the storeroom, they need to be stored for 7years as per workcover.
I always attach the prac request to the RA, then so long as I have prepared the prac according to the order, I am covered by the RA too.
Cheers
Lisa :thumbup:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

*From my previous post

It was my understanding that teachers must do all of their own Risk assessments because they have to include the risk of each class and individual students. For example some of my teachers will allow scalpels with particular classess and "NOT, no way, ever" with other classess and a risk assessment is completed accordingly.

Us labbies have no way of knowing that and I really think it is the teachers responsibility and not ours to do this rather simple but very important task. They need to stop whinging and just get on with it, it is a legal requirement and part of their job as a science teacher.

My motto no risk assessment no prac. Its that simple.
P.s. We dont get paid enough to think for them. \:D/
ri

Post by ri »

Hi Judygee,
our risk assessment is part of the prac request form also.
Each teacher has our proforma in their own personal colour (for quick ID)which they sign before we get them.
Please let me know if you would like a copy of what we use......
If your school does not support the teacher in any court case for negligence, the teacher must bear the responsibility for not implementing their duty of care via a risk assessment.
~Robyn
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Judy,

We are similar to most I think in that our risk assessments are on the back of the prac request sheet. Great in principle but in practice.... most teachers are great & get them done before hand.

But I have one DOLT who does them in the middle of class. :redcard: I have tried not putting out equipment but he gets it himself. I only work 1.5 days so this makes it even easier for him. We have had numerous meetings etc. about the hows, whys & whats of RAs so he can't say he didn't know.

What I do now (since I can't mind control him! :D ) is write the time & date the pracs are performed & the time & date the RAs show up on my desk. This, in conjunction with him being 'educated in RA laws & protocols', covers me in case of a problems, I hope! What more can you do? It is the teachers responsibility to do an RA & the whole point is to identify hazards & put controls in place to either eliminate or lessen the impact - fat lot of good that does when you fill it in, in the middle of the prac!!!!!!!!! :oops: Oh I've also complained to our heads of school & principal (we don't have a Science HOD)...... so they are aware. It would be nice if they did something about it though! :-?

Hope that helps!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Our teachers are all aware of their need to do RA's. But they often dont do one.
I am not backed by my HOD who rarely fills out a prac request and phones me at the start of a period for me to take equipment to her then and there... so I get no support from her at all...telling staff that No RA No Prac just wouldnt work here - and I think I would be told to find myself another job...
lainyv
Job Title: lab technician
School: Illawarra Christian School
Suburb: Albion Park

Post by lainyv »

I'm with Nickyw this is NOT our responsibility. my teachers now have to do them at the begining of the year when they decide what they are going to be doing. We had 2 very, very close calls and after going through the review board I can tell you its a lot easier to fill it out first. this is especially true if you have an experiment being used for the first time or a new teacher doing unfamiliar experiments. GET THEM TO DO IT!!! if they don't talk to your OHS supervisor and quietly let him know of your concerns.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Sunray, I think you should deliberately ring the review board & ask for a review! Let them know you are trying to conform to the safety but your teachers aren't.... It could be a 'random' visit...

Does your principal support your efforts??

I really feel for you from some of the comments you've put on here. My one teacher drives me mad! But at least I get support from the others & definitely from my principal.
judygee

Post by judygee »

Thank you All for your input regarding the RA's, the idea of the RA on the back of the Prac request and colour coding individual teachers RA's are very good ideas, however the HOD has decided to persevere with the present system which relies on me making sure they have the RA form and the MSDS's before they start the Prac (this is how we got into trouble in the first place!!) So have decided to have numerous large signs made asking "Have you Done the Paperwork?" "What about the RA?" I will have to get really tough and insist they do the RA before they get their hands on the equipment!!!!! I'll see how that goes!!!!! Cheers. Judy