Inserting glass tubing into rubber bung

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

Post by Robbie »

Hi all,

I am having great trouble trying to insert glass tubing into rubber stoppers. I don't know if I am just using tubing that is too big. :-(

Is there a knack to holding the tubing? Any help appreciated...

Robbie
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

A small amount of Parrafin or vaseline will do it. Then there is no trouble holding the tubing 'cause there ain't so much resistance. :-)

Richard
KimFenley

Post by KimFenley »

Hi

Make sure you use leather gloves even if you use parrafin/oil etc

Kim
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Wear thick leather and/or cotton gloves and your eye protection.Motion away from you rather than toward you. Rest the setup on a bench... you dont want to be holding it up near face or neck level should it slip, snap or fracture!!! 8O

Tip the tubing with silicone grease, and hold the glass tubing as close as possible to the stopper. Use a twisting motion to insert, rather than a forceful push. If thats still not happening for you, either make the hole in the stopper bigger(or use another with a bigger hole), or use thinner tubing. :-)
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Thanks heaps brains trust!! :D

Robbie
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

My first week on the job (three years ago) and I was requested to put glass tubing into rubber stoppers. 4 stitches and a scar up the inside of my forefinger is a great reminder of that experience, so make sure you don't force the tubing in any way!!
My head teacher said I was lucky, he had seen another lab tech in his previous school end up with the tubing stuck into the wrist and pushed up under the skin part way up the arm. I still get the creeps looking at stoppers with glass tubing.

These are the kind of jobs that should be taught at some of the TAFE courses on offer for science assistants.

Good luck
Estelle.
Wendy
State/Location: QLD

Post by Wendy »

I usually spray the hole with RP7 or WD40.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yes re injuries... We has a Lab Tech in-service last year, and each person was pre-advised to bring in a "show & tell item".

One person brought in a piece of broken glass tubing, complete with stopper. Part 2 of the show & tell item was a badly cut finger (had has the acceident a week or two before), complete with stitches, swelling and gore. It was great for us, as we were able to do an impromtu SOP on the task.It was great.
That person will remain nameless, but they know who they are... if you log-in!!!! 8-[ Thank You for being willing to share(and warn!)