Aqurium help- replacement pads for filter

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Aqurium help- replacement pads for filter

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I have an Aqua One 2700 water pump that s ervices a 5 foot long tank. Works really well.
However, its been running for 12 mths now non stop, and was told upon purchase that I need to replace the pads every 9-12 mths, or when water quality begins to fail.

Water quality still good, but been over 12 mths working without stopping, and if the inside of the hoses are anything to go by, the pads will be pretty scummy by now
Looking at $90 to replace 2 pads. Shocker- that will seriously blow out our science budget, as we have already made our big purchases for the year

Anyone know if they can be washed, replaced with something else similar (without wrecking the pump)
or online supplier that is cheaper than the pet shops?

I have tried to find online without success

Thanks
OB
lada

Re: Aqurium help- replacement pads for filter

Post by lada »

Not sure what the pads are made off, at that price could be gold plated, but is it possible to wash them?? Also my hubbie had been using a hardware store material and cut out the shapes himself, as I said depending on the material.
Lada :coffee:
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

yes for sure at that price they should gold plated!
what type of hardware store material does your hubby use? these are large white pads, like rigid filter wool, but kind o f woven , not loose -IF i remember correctly
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

When we used to have a small aquarium in our school the filter material I used was called glass wool if I remember correctly, but the aquarium and the filter were both on a much smaller scale, so not sure if that's what you need. It might do as a temporary measure until you either clean your old one or source a new one.
J
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

thanks

I found an instrcution page and seems its a filter wool pad
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

We have a large aquarium at home, you should be able to wash the pads in plain hot water and reuse several times. After a couple of years you will probably need to replace them. Would recommend you do a wash at least a couple of times a year, but from memory, part of the overall filtration of an established aquarium is the biological system that "grows" in the sponge, so don't do a water change at the same time.