Chem storage help: classes and sub classes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Chem storage help: classes and sub classes

Post by linotas »

Hi All in Labbie Land,

I have finally been getting my chem inventory up to date and just have a couple of questions on storage.

When you have a common household chemical such as Ammonia or ascorbic acid, do you store it via DGC or just in general storage?

I have one Flammables Cabinet where I separate flam liquids and solids on separate shelves. However, chemwatch is telling me that Li, Na, Mg metals are incompatible with Activated charcoal and that Mg is incompatible with Li and Na metal. Any ideas?

Also apparently Methanol is incompatible with most of the organics in the Flam cabinet as well.

Lastly, what happens when a substance has a secondary class which is incompatible (for storage) with its primary class. For example Sebacoyl Chloride (class 8 and 6.1) and Lead nitrate (class 5.1 and 6.1)

Any ideas or tips on how you store these would be much appreciated.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Chem storage help: classes and sub classes

Post by mtg »

I store ammonia in 8.2 with other bases, ascorbic acid is Vit C and in stable (0), and primary class for seb chloride etc. Methanol should be ok in flammable cupboard according to my chem supply MSDS. Na is in 4.3 and Mg is in 4.1 and charcoal in 4.2. I used to have them all in a big fire cupboard but another tech moved them to separate cupboards (wooden!!!!!) personally I felt safer when they were in the fire cabinet, on separate shelves tho. Victoria might have different rules tho.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Re: Chem storage help: classes and sub classes

Post by DavidPeterson »

Hi MTG

If I were you I'd seriously consider moving Na back to the flammables cabinet. Mg should be there as well, but is a much lower risk - the risk comes more if there is already a fire, whereas Na may cause a fire.

My charcoal is stored remote from other chemicals in a 'spontaneously combustible' drawer - which is lined with cement sheeting.

David
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot