Dragon Breath

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

Dragon Breath

Post by Rita »

Dragon Breath
Equipment:
Candle taped to the end of a metre stick
matches
spray bottle
Chemicals:
Make a mixture of 100 mL of ethanol, 15 mL of water and about 3 g of lithium chloride. Shake to dissolve as much lithium chloride as possible.
To perform:
Put about 50 mL of ethanol in the spray bottle. Hold a lit candle at arm’s length.
Hold the spray bottle about 4–6 inches from the candle and quickly spray ethanol through the flame.
This should produce a nice little fireball that lasts for a second.

We used Lithium Carbonate instead of the chloride and sprayed into a bunsen flame. Beautiful big red flame appeared.

Has anyone tried this prac following the instructions? Imagine it to be impressive.
dime

Re: Dragon Breath

Post by dime »

I just made it up using the Lithium Carbonate. Worked well. Thanks. :D
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Tried this out last week with mad physics teacher(MPT). Masking taped a candle on to a long bit of wood, lit it and stood back. When the spray was a mist it worked well. But this was not enough..... so MPT turned it from a spray to a squirt. The candle and stick caught fire, the masking tape burnt, the candle fell off and the ethanol mixture on the floor caught fire. LOL. Then he decided acetone would be better. I sent him home with the solutions and he just told me the acetone didnt work.....even tho' he used a hose fitting and a sturdy flame (on his lawn). fortunately I dont have the ether he suggested would work better.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I am laughing all over the place here.... that man should be a volujnteer fire brigade member and be put on the drip torch [just joking!]
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

:cheesy: :cheesy: WOW I have a MPT too. And another jnr one started this year the master and his apprentice we call them. What is it with Physics teachers :crazy: