Student medications

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
curie
State/Location: NSW

Student medications

Post by curie »

Hello learned people . We have a cupboard at the front office that is used to store student medications. Do we need SDS for all these medications, or are they exempt, as they are for that student only? And where does asprin, panadol, ventolin and epipens fit into the equation?

Thanks in advance.
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Re: Student medications

Post by Judy R »

All medications for students should come with instructions from the prescribing doctor..this is enough.
Epipens and ventolin should also be covered this way.
the school should not dispense panadol etc to students only medication that has been prescribed.
When I was in NSW we followed these guidelines as well.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Its a no no , to give out panadol to students. Our school only buy's it for the staff so a few packages last a long time. Also the medication is not for the school to use, it is only for that student to use. The parent supply it from the prescribing doctor.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi everyone,

I was told by WHS Workcover experts that no aspirin or panadol etc should by supplied or given out by ANY workplace. Cause if something happens and they have a reaction or operate a vehicle or equipment and something happens, it comes back to the supplier- The workplace, as they shouldnt be dispensing medication. So several places I have worked at have stopped giving out aspro etc to workers. BUT I believe it is ok for the employees to bring there own.

Regards Superbug!!!
superbug

Post by superbug »

Sorry, I didnt answer the question first asked. I dont think you need an SDS but you must ensure medication the company supplies eg eye wash solution and creams have not expired.
I hope this helps
Regards

Superbug