and any other non-chem subjects.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Van De Graaf Generator

Post by Labbie »

Hi folks,

We have a very old Van De Graaf Generator given to us, only last week. How would I clean it? So far I have used warm soapy water, and things are looking a little better. But the main silver dome, is awful. What would you suggest I use??

Can I use Silver cleaner?

Help :-|
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Van De Graaf Generator

Post by Lyn »

Hi Pommy,

Use a fine steel wool to get the shine back, wipe over with damp paper towelling to get rid of any residue from the steel wool and give a final polish with paper towelling. I do this with our Van de Graaf machine before it is used each time. I must have done a good job this year because the sparks were really jumping off the surface.

Lyn
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Gumption! Yes the sink cleaner is designed for stainless steel and it is what we use on the dome of our Van De Graaf. Make sure you clean both inside and out for a great result. This combined with a tune - new belts, cleaned perspex tube and the combs cleaned and adjusted mircomillimeters from the belt has it producing the fattest spark you've ever seen. Experienced teaching staff claim they're afraid of using it but I reckon it's the business!!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Pommy,

I did a major clean of ours a couple of weeks ago. I used brasso and this worked really well. The instruction manual actually said not to use anything too abrasive on the suface as you don't want to scratch it. I also pulled the whole thing apart to clean the rollers too.
The other thing to look out for is the belt. Mine is perished and needs replacing.

Good luck its a dirty job.

Lorrae \:D/
smiley

Post by smiley »

We have a brief window of opportunity to use ours, somewhere around July. The rest of the time it's just too humid! 8-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

They certainly like dry windy days, not much of that where your from! The Simpson Desert High School must get a cracking result!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Hi Sue

Have a look at the following web site http://www.rtg.wa.edu.au/repairs/general/equiprep.htm

It has some hints on how to clean Van de Graaf.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Nicky =D>
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

This is a message for Smiley and any others who experience the humidity of the tropics.

The Van de Graaf will work in airconditioning. We have been able to use ours all year round. Only discovered this when some bright spark insisted on doing electrostatics in February. I told them it wouldn't work and it did work.

Lyn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Many thanks for that site on the Van De Graaf Generator. What a great site this is.

Thank you all so much.

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I know that it is not strictly speaking about Van de Graffs, but has anybody had a look at the web site

http://tesladownunder.com/index.html

Now some of THOSE sparks would make a good class dem!!!!

Ian :grin:
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

My god! What an awesome website. The teachers I showed stood there open mouthed, well worth a look.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
PhysicsOne

Post by PhysicsOne »

I have read that you should avoid grease on the belt. So I wear gloves when replacing the belt.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi everyone,
I have just obtained a replacement belt for our older IEC model VDG by dealing directly with IEC. They have a website which has a section on technical information. Unfortunately the PDF document didn't work on VDG but they were able to send me a document on belt information such as a suggestion how to fix poor belts, a good way to test the belt, improving the combs and little bit more. You can try contacting Bernard Hodson by email thru their site <URL removed, see forum rules> and asking him to email a copy of "Belt Information for Van der Graaf Generators" or I can fax it.
Don't know if this much help but I will certainly try some of their suggestions,
Lou P.