Emulsions and there properties

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Emulsions and there properties

Post by rae »

Morning,
Yr 12 Senior science prac looking at emulsions and trying to distinguish between oil based and water based.
Does any one have any tips on how to get this to work? You look at conductivity and the solubility of a water soluble dye and a oil soluble dye. We did it this morning and all our results were dubious!

Thanks
Lorrae
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: Emulsions and there properties

Post by RosalieM »

I don't really know what this prac is but colouring for chocolates is oil based so should be soluable in oil. I don't know if you can buy it at supermarkets or not. We used to make chocolates a lot as kids :)
dime

Post by dime »

Last week I prepared a prac for Senior Science and it consisted of three green solutions in jars with lids so they could be shaken up. I don't have the book it came from, so I'm not sure what they were testing them for. All I know they had to look the same, so they were: Nickel Chloride a bit stronger than 0.1M, some green powdered chalk in water, (used regular chalk not the dustless stuff) and a mixture of some vegetable oil, green detergent and water. They all looked similar shade of green and they were labelled A B & C. I guess they shook them and observed them.

They also made french dressing, and mayonnaise - with egg, for emulsions. I imagine these pracs are in the Heineman Senior Science @ HSC book.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Yes we did that prac as well. This is the next one and it is a dot pint so they have to do it. Just was looking for some pointers to make ot more successful!
dime

Post by dime »

Just re read your first post, and while I haven't got the info on conductivity, Sudan III is an oil based dye isn't it.