A general discussion and Q & A forum.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Ammonium Nitrate

Post by rae »

Good Morning Chemtalk Family,

Does anyone know where we can now purchase Ammonium nitrate?
A lot of the usual companies no longer stock this product for the obvious reason. Has it been banned in schools? Our stock is very low and we would like to buy 500g.

Thankls have a great day. Wishing everyone a great break I am on hols from tomorrow.

Lorrae
Jazz

Re: Ammonium Nitrate

Post by Jazz »

hi
you can order through Serrata item number:1038059 AR 500gr $42.53 or 1038058 LR$18.90
+ GST
Cheers Jazz
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

The Education Department in consultation with Workplace Standards Tasmania told us we had to get rid of any ammonium nitrate we had unless we wanted to apply for a permit around $300, the school I work in had about 100g and we got told to dilute it with water and use it on the garden
rae

Post by rae »

Jazz
Serrata no longer supply this chemical. I actually tried ordering through them and spoke to them on the phone. They are no longer allowed to supply it.

Lorrae
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

You can buy Ammonium Nitrate from Silform Pty Ltd Phone 07 4126 3631 ( Queensland Company) for $11.00 for 500g. I bought some this year .

Ramona
Kath

Post by Kath »

Hi Lorrae
I am pretty sure you will be able to purchase Ammonium Nitrate from Chem-Supply. Their pack sizes range from 500g to 25kg so you should get the size you require.
Hope this helps
Kath
rae

Post by rae »

Hi all,

I think it is a lost cause.

I've just checked the Chem-supply website and there was no listing for this chemical. I also spoken to a lovely gentleman from Silform and he informed me that they will probalbly no longer carry this chemical. The government require individual licences for importing, exporting, selling, buying and storing it and the amount they pay for the licences does not allow them to recoup their costs as they are not selling sufficient quantities.

Lorrae
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

It is in the Q Stores catalogue - 2520575 so maybe give them a call? The number is 1800424613. You may get the same story though, but I guess it's worth a try.
Rosalie
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Perhaps you should make your Principal aware of this situation as I'm sure schools are given special consideration regarding this chemical. It is disadvantaging students who require this chemical, and others to perform lab experiments. Students are always under supervision in the labs whenever chemicals are involved so I can't see it being a problem.Ammonium Nitrate can only be used by Yrs.11 and 12 anyway.This ruling applies in NSW public schools.I don't know about the others.
Mother