Food in labs

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
lada
State/Location: NSW

Re: Food in labs

Post by lada »

Hi Curie
There is only so much you can do. One of our teachers has an early class of Bio12 and always makes them tea/coffee etc. She says it is all clean and spreads on large butcher paper on the benches, but I wash my hand off it. I reported it to HOD and he did nothing.
Lada
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

We have strict no eating or drinking in the labs. I confiscate kids drink bottles if I see them and none of my teachers would dare bring anything into the lab for fear of my wrath :lol:. OH&S is my "thing" plus I am the OH&S rep for this campus ;)

Helps that I have 17 years experience in working labs, my teachers like the students to get real life experience and that includes universal laboratory OH&S rules. One of the Australian standards on laboratories (can't think of which one of the top of my head) has a list of rules for the laboratory, one being no eating or drinking. Every lab I have worked in has that as a rule including no application of makeup which always makes me chuckle.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

I'm also OHS rep, however I'm a do as I say, not as I do type of guy (ie if I want to eat, I eat although it's never in the lab - I used to in the main prep room because that's where my desk was - now I'm in the science teacher's office unless I am required to be in the prep are)
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
curie

Post by curie »

Linotas, I've worked in industry for about as long, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
bunsen
Job Title: SOO
School: Mabel Park State High
Suburb: Slacks Creek
State/Location: QLD

Post by bunsen »

Just happen to be browsing Aus.Standards.AS/NZS 2243.1:2005
4.1 REQUIREMENTS FOR SAFE CONDUCT
(i) Do not handle, prepare, store or consume food or drink for personal consumption in the laboratory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

Does any one have a list of school lab rules they display in their labs - I'm updating mine and wonder what everyone else lists on their walls..... 8-)
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

I have found it difficult to get all the important rules onto something that is easy to read. These are the two I came up with along with another pic I also put up for fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I have never allowed food in the laboratories, "Sigh" I guess it just a general consensus that in Industry we have standards and those aren't being pushed right from the start (e.g. at high school level), This may seem a bit harsh but I guess it only my opinion, we move our food operations to the cooking area of TAS to complete food practicals. Its just not right..

There are govening rules for standards in Laboratories, and we just encourage the wrong sense of Laboratories and what our standards are. After all standards are ther to set a profewssional bench mark.

BTW, I like the comic pictures....

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

ri wrote:Can I ask my colleagues what rules they have regarding food in labs - students snacking or food tasting experiments?? :coffee: :yuck: :unsure:
~Robyn
"No Comment" on the grounds that I might incriminate myself/my science department! :-(

Cheers
Ian :whistling2:
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights

Post by nickykinz »

I used to work in a forensic lab and the old boys would tell us about how they would sit around smoking while pipetting blood samples! Worryingly not that long ago! And then they would go upstairs to the bar and have a drink with any of the police officers who happened to be around.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Yes, smoking was common in labs. I was working in a QC lab for a major food company in the 80s - there was strictly no smoking in the production area, so the plant operators came into the lab for a smoko. I tried to get the lab designated a no-smoking area, but failed to get management support.
Xe, SD, KOPR
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

Think I would rather take a chance with my prep room rather than put my food in the staff fridge. There are some serious experiments going on in there sometimes :)
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Definition of ironic? Me telling off a student for eating a wizz fizz in the science lab while the teacher is handing out choc chip cookies...
ri

Post by ri »

Hi All,
As a part-timer now and also as a Uni student I thought I would update my impressions regarding food in the labs......
I have never been able to influence the high school teachers here regarding a no-food/drink policy in the Science labs.
If only I could, because when these kids hit Uni they are in for a huge shock!! Food/water bottles in labs is a definite NO-NO and they are really jumped on. Gum chewing is prohibited and even my dissection kit stored in an old chocolate tin makes them nervous.
I would have thought for any high schools reputation, it would be a good idea to train kids in this aspect BEFORE they enrol at University?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I totally agree. However at our school the tutor groups use the labs as a home room and have parties in these rooms. I have had to turn a blind eye to this. Also its not only science teachers that have these groups in the labs. I also have signs on our fridge not to store food in them but at certain times we have food in them.