ALERT Manganese Dioxide

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: ALERT Manganese Dioxide

Post by Ian »

To add to the confusion......

The MnO2 in Chemwatch refers to the product from Tennant Trading PtyLtd in Neutral Bay. Its CAS No is 1313-13-9, and it is Cancer causing. The MnO2 on MY shelf is from Chem Supply in Port Adelaide. It has the exact same CAS No.(1313-13-9) (therefore it is the EXACT SAME PRODUCT) but in the Chem Supply MSDS, issued in April 2011, about half way down page 4, it says, quote "Carcinogenicity: No evidence of carcinogenic properties"

Now, go figure that!!!

Ian :unsure: :crazy: :cry2: :-?
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Dime, I think Ian was referring to the potassium iodide in relation to harming the unborn child.

I looked up manganese dioxide and got the extreme one. It does seem a bit radical to change it (in the school, with the amounts we use) as it says MAY cause cancer. No proof yet. I remember reading somewhere that magnetic fields may cause cancer too, but we haven't got rid of all the magnets!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I update our MSDSs when they have gone past their date ie five years from date of issue. This is a real problem when things change whilst the MSDS is still current. Checking them each year may be beneficial, but I'm thinking of the amount of extra work :w00t: And if we check them every year, changes could be made the week after you check them - where do you start and where do you finish!
I wonder what Workcover have to say on this?
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

THANK YOU ThANK YOU KJT. I have now exported my chemical register to excel, and can see straight away when a MSDS needs updating. Thank you Thank you.

And a very big welcome to chemtalk.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Ian

Post by Ian »

RosalieM wrote:Dime, I think Ian was referring to the potassium iodide in relation to harming the unborn child.
Sorry DIME, Rosalie is correct! It is the KI that kills unborn babies. MnO2 just causes cancer in their mothers!

Ian :-( :-(
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, guys. I have moved mine MnO2 to 5.1 and updated my chemical register.

Like kjt I also have a column at the end for the MSDS year of issue, with those that are nearing 5 yrs highlighted so I can see at a glance what needs updating and do that once a year.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Ok, silly question, how do I export my chemwatch manifest to excel?
Sounds like the easiest way to go.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

dime wrote:Don't pretend to be very good at Chemwatch, but when I looked up manganese IV oxide, it came up with two.
1. Merck Manganese (IV) oxide powder with Moderate hazard rating, and no mention of cancer warning
2. Manganese dioxide with Extreme hazard rating, and cancer warning.
It would seem to me that they are exactly the same product, so it depends on which one you choose to read. This is where Chemwatch is confusing. Whilst it is better to err on the side of caution, one must take into account the way a chemical is used in a school. I think this is what CSIS is all about. Other oxidisers are rated Green dot for use with 7-12. So whilst I will change the label to 5.1, I will leave it as a green dot, until the dept changes it in an update.
I'm happy to blame my new glasses, but I couldn't see where it mentioned harm to unborn on either of these summaries. But happy to stand corrected.
I think the carcinogenicity is based on the level of crystalline silica in the product, which is an impurity in Manganese (IV) Oxide (in the Technical grade it can be as high as 4%), crystalline silica causes silicosis through inhalation and can lead to lung cancer. So I guess it depends on the purity of the manganese (IV) oxide.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Whilst I can see the need to remain alert, I do not feel the need to panic.

From my research I agree with JelJane that the carcinogenic ingredient is the crystaline silica and I think the kids would be more exposed to that when they are using fine beach sand which is used relatively frequently and in much larger quantities than the small amount of manganese dioxide used with hydrogen peroxide .

Just about everything nowdays is claimed to cause cancer from our flourescent lights to your breakfast toast.

Remember the MSDS for Junket tells us to wear impermiable gloves and a face mask!

Whilst I shall also move it to the Oxidiser section, it will keep it's green dot.

Please don't berate me if you feel differently.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

FYI, the NZ EPA classify Manganese (IV) dioxide as 6.1B, 6.9A - no mention of the 5.1 status! Life is very confusing when not everybody agrees!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Help for manifest to excel.
once in chemwatch, click on manifest, once displayed. to go Report generator (Red icon with small whilte on it) A list of categories is displayed, go through each one and chose which you would like. eg chossing folders/store name (With full path)
when you have selected which fields you would like. put a tick in the excel checkbox at the bottom of the screen and click submit. Save it in your documents. If it is not quite want you would like, you can do it again.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
judyjolly

Post by judyjolly »

Thanks for the info everyone, I wouldn't have known either
Judy
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

Hi All
I have just got some chemicals I ordered and one of them was Manganese Dioxide. now in 2009 the bottle had an Oxidizing lable on it the new bottle I have just got has no Oxidizing label on so what dose one do ?????
Same company Chem Supply
So may be the ALert was for large amounts not for the amount we use
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Can anyone tell me if Potassium iodide is the alternative to Manganese dioxide for oxygen gas. I know its on here somewhere
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

We use potassium permanganate.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

Krysia Lee wrote:Can anyone tell me if Potassium iodide is the alternative to Manganese dioxide for oxygen gas. I know its on here somewhere
Yes, potassium iodide should catalyse the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide into oxygen and water. And indeed it works as well as expected.

I just slipped some 6% peroxide into a test tube and dropped in saturated KI. It's bubbling away nicely.

It's a two step catalytic reaction.
H2O2 + I{-} = IO{-} + H2O
IO{-} + H2O2 = I{-} + H2O + O2
Ian

Post by Ian »

I think that is how the "Elephant's Tooth Paste" experiment works, isn't it. You add a bit of detergent to catch the O2 bubbles that make foam.

Ian
Graham Kemp

Post by Graham Kemp »

Yes.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Graham did you use saturated KI or solid KI?
Graham Kemp

Post by Graham Kemp »

rae wrote:Graham did you use saturated KI or solid KI?
I used saturated as it was handy for the test, but solid will work just as well.