Chemical Store - New Building

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Chemical Store - New Building

Post by dss8386 »

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up new labs and there are all kinds of problems. Didn't allow enough space for my flammables cupboard because an air vent was put in that was not on the original plans.

I also have suspicions that they have not fireproofed the chemstore. I saw them fireproofing/insulating the general store on the first level but not the Chemstore. Can anyone tell me whether it is law and regulation that a new building / lab has to have a fireproofed chemstore?

I am really concerned and I am refusing to move the flammables and any chemical for that matter if its not up to spec. I am not sure where to find this info.

Regards,

Dave
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemical Store - New Building

Post by AnnNos »

Contact the Work, Health & Safety consultant for your area. They should be able to find out the regulations for this.
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemical Store - New Building

Post by Jazz »

:-) just completed assignment for my WHS studies, Consultation with employees when changing work environment.
a) Australian Standard 2243 - Safety in Laboratories

This Standard comprises ten separate parts dealing with different aspects of laboratory safety (see list below). Australian Standards can be accessed from the TAFE Library webpage (view Electronic Resources -Databases then select “Standards Australia”). Standards may also be purchased from SAI Global.
AS/NZS 2982 - Laboratory design and construction
AS 2243.1 - General
AS 2243.2 - Chemical aspects
AS 2243.3 - Microbiological safety and containment
AS 2243.4 - Ionizing radiations
AS 2243.5 - Non-ionizing radiations
AS 2243.6 - Plant and equipment aspects
AS 2243.7 - Electrical aspects
AS 2243.8 - Fume cupboards
AS 2243.9 - Recirculating fume cabinets
AS 2243.10 - Storage of chemicals
Cheers Jazz