structure/formula query

for anything else that doesn't fit.
ndicker
State/Location: TAS

structure/formula query

Post by ndicker »

Hello Lab techies...
Just wondering if anyone out there knows the chemical structure and formula for C4. One of our students was curious... and the chem teacher and I are a little hesitant to search the web for info in case "big brother" is watching out for people looking for info on explosives...
Ta in advance for any help
nic :thumbup:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: structure/formula query

Post by Slartibartfast »

Er, why would he need to know the chemical makeup of plastic explosive? Does he live on a farm and want to blow a stump out of the ground or is he just curious? My younger brother serves with the army and they know not to ask - 11 secret herbs and spices probably involved somewhere. I wouldn't look it up on the net either!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Sheeeh! I have kids ask me how to make nasty stuff/can we blow up something/set something on fire. I just tell them that we wouldnt know/ they dont want to know/ and even if we did know, we dont keep those chemicals on school sites. [-X

That seems to do it. A lot of it is just bravado anyway.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

If I had a dollar for every time a student asked do I get to blow things up or what is good for blowing up I could retire today and get myself gold plated within the hour. Do they think of anything else in science? Admitedly when I went through school we had a teacher that had an uncanny knack for destroying things (via explosions) and you often went home blackened with your hair a mess. Now I don't know whether he being blind in one eye and no sense of smell was as a result of previous forays into the world of atomisation but it did add to the sense of imminent danger I can tell you. They've banned most of what he worked with and I don't think he's allowed to teach in NSW any more. Probably now in Queensland furthering his career with distinction!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Structure/formula query

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

The Chemical composition is Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine, Unfortunately that is all I can reveal, as my qualifications are on the line... The C-4 Actually stands for Composition 4 which is a composite of plastic explosive. Bare with me here.... And although I have given you the main name C4 consists of 90% Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine and 5% Plasticizer (Name I will not disclose), and Binder (Name I will not disclose).

But the composite that mainly is present is: Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine..

I must make reference as a Scientist to other peoples work and give you the Patent Number for this: 6887324 and the Patent Number for the C4 reformulation is: EP1358138.

I hope you understand why I can only reveal a small part of the C4 composition.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **