Water deioniser

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Water deioniser

Post by cheltie »

We are looking at buying a water deioniser to replace our water still. Does anyone have the Focus WL450 model? It is quite a bit cheaper than the Vertex one available so I just wanted to know if it is OK.
Thanks Helen
judygee

Water deioniser.

Post by judygee »

Dear Helen - Cannot help with the Focus WL450 but we do have the Vertex Reverse Osmosis purification system and yes it was expensive and yes it does remove up to 98% of inorganic ions and virtually All non-ionic particles but I find it EXTREMELY slow and have to make sure I store enough deionised water so I don't get caught short. Although I guess most water purification systems need time to work - this one seems to be excessively slow. Hope this information hasn't created another problem for you. Cheers. Judygee.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thanks for that Judy.
The Vertex one I was looking at is not reverse osmosis and produces 1 litre per minute so is quick. I don't actually understand the difference between the reverse osmosis ones and the others. Can you explain this to me?
Thanks for your help. Helen
PhysicsOne

Post by PhysicsOne »

Deionising water is done by tiny deionising beads. It removes the ions. The best type let the water drip though the beads giving them time to remove the ions. The filter may also have carbon to remove other non-ionic impurities. A Brita water filter works on this priniciple.
Reverse osmosis is a filter that only lets water through. After a while it's "pores" get blocked by a film building up on its surface. The surface then has to be cleaned. It tends to be used for larger scale water purification eg factories and desalination plants.
I don't know what sort of chemistry you do but a Brita filter or similar may provide pure enough water.
If you require ultra pure water then I purchase Nobles ultra pure water from the supermarket. It is about 70cents a litre (comes in 10 or 5 litre pack). I use that when making silver nitrate or lead nitrate solutions. Otherwise deionised water suits me just fine.
judygee

Water deioniser.

Post by judygee »

Dear Helen - Our Vertex is a multistage purification system - Water passes through a cartridge of activated carbon which removes the sediment particles down to a certain size and also free chlorine which is detrimental to the reverse osmosis membrane. Then, in the reverse direction, passes through a semi-permeable membrane removing almost 100% of ions and organic molecules and lastly through another cartridge containing resin to remove any remaining ionised solids and gases. As one can appreciate this process takes time, which is something I don't always have plenty of!!!! Cheers, Judygee