Chemical disposal

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School
State/Location: NSW

Chemical disposal

Post by Dee »

Has anyone in NSW heard the rumour that the Department is going to do another chemical disposal collection this year?. I have a tonne of chemicals to dispose of (only a slight exaggeration) due to a refurbishment of the chemical store and a couple of labs. I got a quote and it was close to $3,000 so I would prefer to wait if they are going to do another collection.
Presto

Chemical Disposal

Post by Presto »

Hi
I believe that the department is doing a chemical disposal this year. I have asked my principal to find out as I have chemicals I need to dispose of. If I find out anything I will contact you at a later date.
Mary
PhysicsOne

Post by PhysicsOne »

I have also heard that they are reviewing the chemical safety package. Part of that review could include whether to have another chemical collection. If not our school has had a quote from Plastech, Gerald ph9623 0888. You must have a lot of waste to get a quote of $3000. My school had only $114 worth of waste.
m

chemical disposal

Post by m »

I too have some chemicals in need of disposal
does any one know who to contact in the department to find out if a collection service is available through them?
any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks m
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi Dee,Physics One, m & everyone
there is no immenent pick up of chemicals from the DET
however for those in Sydney you can access a free disposal of most of your chemicals through the
CLEAN OUT collections organised by the Dept of Environment and Conservation
for further info
http:/www.<URL removed, see forum rules>
for details on your local site and date for collection
they take household and small NOT COMMERCIAL quantities of most of the chemicals
best of luck
regards Juliem
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

chemical disposal

Post by Mother »

Hi All
On the subject of chemical disposal: I am updating all my MSD sheets as most of them are more than 5 years old.Phew!!! What a job.Anyway I have come across a tin of very old calcium carbide that is rusted!!! Do any of you know if this is a problem and if it needs to be disposed of? As I am in the far west,disposal is a problem unless we have a pick-up that takes in the whole of the western area.Don't know when this is likely to happen!!!
I look forward to your replies.
Cheers
Mother
Robb

Calcium Carbide

Post by Robb »

Hi Mother,

Keep the Chemicals that you have segregated according to the methods you have but place a sticker on the Chemical/s that need to disposed of. This way if the chems are put together and pushed to one side there could be a chance of combinding incompatible chemicals.

This method will give a much safer means of stoirage until it is time to dispose of them. Then simply gather the chemicals that have the labels on them and go from there. Keep in mind too, that if a chemical is old so is the container that holds it as well...

Organic Waste - Keep these in a Fume Cupboard until collection can take place and periodically re-open the lids to release any pressure that may have built up from the addition of different types of organics. *This is why it should be left in the fume Cupboard.

Calcium Carbide can be a bit of a problem when it comes to long life storage. It is very susceptible to moisture (in which it is Dangerous When Wet), and certainly easily oxidised.

To dispose of this substance is quite simple. Depending on the quantity it may take some time but at least when the process is finished there is not need to worry any longer.

In a 1L beaker or larger if you have one, add enough water to fill the beaker to around 3/4 full. Then drop 250g of calcium carbide into this and wait until the reaction has completed. (Although the Calcium Carbide is Dangerous when Wet these quantities I have given you will offer a safe work method).

The liquor or Liquid can be poured into the sink and the solid left over particulates can be absorbed in some saw dust from Wood Work and disposed of in normal solid waste.

I hope this has eased some doubt into the Calcium Carbide problem.

Cheers,

Robb..........
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Post by Mother »

Thanks for that info.Robb
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi All,
I've just received a fax from a company called CHEMSAL, a chemical disposal company based in Sydney. I have used them before for disposal of old/discarded/degraded chemicals and for contents of our waste bottles which build up over a couple of years. They will be in our area (New England/North West/Hunter)
during the week commencing 13th November, so if anyone has stuff for disposal you could contact them.
Details are CHEMSAL Pty Ltd
40 Christie St
PO Box 90
St Marys 2760
Phone 96047533
Fax 96049744
email <URL removed, see forum rules>
Elizabeth