New Bunsen Burners

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
labman
State/Location: SA

New Bunsen Burners

Post by labman »

Hi All,
Late last year, I remember someone mentioning that they had bought some Bunsen Burners, and that they were happy with the quality, price etc. I have tried searching the forums, but have not come across that bit.
I am in the market for some new ones,(we use micro burners) and would appreciate any info from anyone who has good/bad burners, and got a good price. My usual supplier has them at $25.00 each, but as I want to purchase 50 plus, I'm hoping to get them cheaper than that.
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie
State/Location: NSW

Re: New Bunsen Burners

Post by lizzieb »

Just received some LPG ones I ordered from LIvingstone ($7.80 ea).
They're the ones that have ring you screw up or down to regulate the air - some teachers prefer the ones that have a metal tube that twists left or right.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Lisa,
Omega Scientific is the current contract supplier for the Science Equipment Scheme which is coordinated and managed by the DECS Health and Safety services in SA. There is a web site and the supplier should be able to send you the 2009 Science Equipment Scheme catalogue. The LPG bunsen burners are at least $10 cheaper than you current supplier. All prices are GST inclusive. The equipment and materials are assessed by a Science Apparatus Committee which includes Lab Officers from various high schools etc, and a Health and Safety Adviser. It is worth checking out.
Lyn.
labman

Post by labman »

Hi,
Thanks Lyn, for the info, but Omega is the supplier I was speaking of, and currently use. The standard burners are $14.30 in my current catalogue, but I am after micro burners, and they are $25.30, although now, I am thinking of getting a mix of both, to keep costs down. Thanks again.

Lizzie B,
I have a current catalogue for Livingstone, showing their bunsens at $15.35. Did you get a "special" price for those you got, or are they cheaper because they are the "screw up or down" ones. Do you like the ones you have, and do you think they would be prone to jamming up? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Lisa, I checked the Livingstones catalogue I have before posting the other day, but I'll check again tomorrow and let you know the item code. They were delivered last week, and that was the price we paid.
Some staff prefer this type, some the other. I haven't any personal experience of them (yet), as my previous HT didn't like them. This one does, so I'll let you know. Certainly find the other sort jam easily - somehow the little darlings get them gummed up with wax or 'who knows what'.

I've been off the last day and a half - x-ray on my left knee yesterday after a second fall during the holidays. All OK, thank goodness. Then dentist today - another root canal job ahead for me, oh what fun. Possibly 2, as one done some time ago is also showing signs of flaring up again. Didn't know that was possible! :yuck:
But hey, I'm not complaining, these are trivial things ....
Liz

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Just rechecked the prices I quoted the other day. In my current Livingstone catalogue, 16th edition (under Bunsen Burners, Pg 135) LPG ones are $7.80. Item code BBLPGC.
Natural gas are $12.35 ea.
Liz

coxy

Post by coxy »

Hi Lisa,
I mentioned last year that our school purchased about 50 from Westlab Supplies. PO Box 1680, Ballarat Vic. 3354, Phone 03) 5333-2941. They cost $10 each and are great, all the teachers are very happy with them. Great, prompt and efficient service, with billing etc.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

What are micro burners, I think you mean Meeker burners, and I don't see why a difference in prices on LPG and Natural gas, the only difference is size of hole in jet
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

We use micro burners with micro distillation sets. Really just a baby bunsen!
labman

Post by labman »

Ocker,
Like Ellice said, micro burners are just small bunsens. There is no difference in price between the LPG and natural gas ones, but I can't believe the difference between micro and standard.

Coxy,
Thanks for posting. Yes it was you I was talking about. The bunsens shown in my Westlab catalogue are called double ring burners. Does that mean there are two rings/holes down the bottom? If so, are they any different(performance wise) to the other burners? Thanks for your help. The Westlab price is very good, but I have had problems in the past with quality from them, so I'm glad you mentioned you were happy with them, and the service.

Thanks to all for your input, it makes a big difference when you shop around, and this site makes that job easy, and Lizzie, I hope your knee/teeth are much better!!!
Cheers,
Lisa
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for asking Lisa - my patella's not broken, so the knee will get better! Off to the dentist this afternoon, now the infections been sorted. :-(

My mother-in-law passed peacefully away last week, in Orange, with the funeral tomorrow. Some of my adult children with their littlies are going to kip down here for a few hours sleep (half-way in their journey from Lismore), then we'll all leave about 4am.

There's a great bushfire benefit concert in town tonight, and I'm going to go to that - it'll help me forget the dental pain, raise my spirits (no pun intended) for tomorrow, and keep me awake till the others arrive about 10pm!
Life's never dull, we never know what's around the corner .... I look for the joy in every situation - this is going to be a good few days away, a precious opportunity to spend time with loved ones & extended family,

What a blessing!

Have a great weekend everyone
Liz

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Wonderful show tonight, with lots of talented Tamworthians like Matt Zarb (recently moved here) and Roshani Priddis (Idol).

A semi-trailer was waiting outside, and was filled and driven off to Victoria before the concert finished.

Certainly puts things into perspective.....

Thinking of all of you who have been through major troubles and heartache

Bless you, one & all
Liz

labman

Post by labman »

Lizzie,
It sounds like you have had one hell of a week, and my condolences to you and your family. It appears though, like me, you always look on the bright side, and know there are always people a lot worse off than yourself. So I am glad you enjoyed the concert, and it's lovely to hear there is still many fund raising activities going on around the country for the bushfire victims. I can't begin to imagine their heartache, and like you, and all on this site, my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Cheers,
Lisa
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Any current recommendations for Bunsen burner suppliers?