A general discussion and Q & A forum.
elaruu
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: SS
State/Location: NSW

Chemicals not sold by Westlab or other common suppliers

Post by elaruu »

Hi everyone,

One of my teachers has asked for a list of chemicals for some year 11 and 12 students for some kind of science extension project. I'm not sure exactly what for, as it is a new teacher and he's very vague. Anyway, none of the chemicals he wants are supplied by Westlab or any other chemical suppliers that I have used. I am quite new to this (1 year in), so still not sure about things like this. Included in the list are: Bromobutene, Bromobenzene, 2-Bromo-2-methyl propane, Benzyl Chloride etc. All quite hazardous and only to be used by year 11/12 or Teachers. I have found them from Sigma, but I am thinking that since not supplied by our common suppliers maybe we shouldn't have them? He said they're not crucial, but I'm not sure what he would be thinking to use instead.

Any advice?

Thanks!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Chemicals not sold by Westlab or other common suppliers

Post by macca »

If you have a good HT I'd take it to them, I'm always sus with anything benzene or bromine. See what he is doing with it and the cost alone of the new chemicals for a once off, may be enough of a deterrent.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Thanks. The head teacher is a bit clueless when it comes to Chemistry (he's a Physics teacher), so I was worried that he would just ask me what I thought if I asked him! But I'm leaning towards telling the chemistry teacher that if there is an alternative he should do that. :)
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sometimes the teachers are just passing on what the students have asked for. Sometimes the students have just got some weird experiment off Google that may or may not work. The kids just don't put any thought into it. The teacher's attitude of "it's not crucial" makes me think this is what has happened and the teacher is going to be quite happy telling the student it is a no go. Why the teachers just can't say no themselves is anyone's guess but they are certainly happy to say it was the evil labbie who said no.
Given the risks of the chemicals and the costs for a one off, I'd be happy telling them to go back and re-think.
I'm also surprised that the students have now only thought about their Extension projects - they've had since T4 last year! Which adds to my theory that the student has just grabbed something off the internet.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

I think in this case it is the teacher coming up with the chemicals. He has only started here this year, and comes from an industry background. When he said it's not crucial he meant that these specific chemicals are not crucial but he wants "something similar", whatever that means. He has now just asked for the following other things: Sulfanilic acid (4-aminobenzenesulfonic acid) and Dimethylaniline, which are also not sold by Westlab.

Has anyone ever bought from Sigma? We used to get lab supplies from them all the time when I worked in medical research, but not sure about for a school.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

I think I may have bought something from Sigma years ago. I wouldn't have a problem buying from them, I'd have more of a problem spending a lot of money on something that will spend the next ten years on a shelf until you do a chemical clean up!
New teachers can be difficult to work with. If you use Riskassess, check the classification of the chemical on there before you buy it. Also, get hold of the safety data sheet so you can properly assess risks. If it is not the cost that is prohibitive, the risks associated with using it may be a good reason to say no.
Always remember that we are the ones left with handling the solid or concentrate, cleaning up the spills etc, so you need to do a risk assessment on the hazards associated with your handling of the chemical, including storage, before it is purchased.
Don't be afraid to say no. If you need help or back up with your decision, there's a whole bunch of us here that will help you.
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Post by shaz.H »

Hello,
I would just answer his question with a no we do not have those chemicals.I agree with everyone else and this is the site to ask these questions, please think twice about purchasing expensive chemicals that are not used regularly. You will get teachers come through from time to time particularly from industry background always asking for weird and wonderful things but they usually seek substitutes if we don't have the chemicals. For the purpose of our experiments stick to the norm i say.
happy easter
shaz
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

Thanks for the advice! The two chemicals he mainly wants are $49 for 25g and $157 for 100mL. I think he will be using quite small amounts. He wants the students to make Methyl Orange (even though we have that already - he wants them to make it for the purpose of making it). I'll check with the head teacher and order it if he says yes. These chemicals are "teacher only", but Year 11/12 and 7-12 at lower concentrations so probably ok.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oh no! Just for the sake of doing it. Nup - as Shaz said, they will come up with all sorts of weird things and if you give an inch they'll take a mile. If you buy this, you'll find after 12 months you'll have a chem store full of useless stuff.
It is surprising, as most teachers struggle to get through mandatory content without coming up with extra work!
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

elaruu wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 12:37 Has anyone ever bought from Sigma? We used to get lab supplies from them all the time when I worked in medical research, but not sure about for a school.
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with a science extension student. Setting up the account was very easy. I contacted one of the Aus reps and I had to fill in a form and send it to the finance dept to lodge it and create the account. Check that the chemical is stocked in Aus for faster shipping as sometimes it's located somewhere else in the world. The team were very helpful when our chemical got lost, they sent another very quickly.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

MissKat wrote: 13 May 2023, 20:08
elaruu wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 12:37 Has anyone ever bought from Sigma? We used to get lab supplies from them all the time when I worked in medical research, but not sure about for a school.
I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with a science extension student. Setting up the account was very easy. I contacted one of the Aus reps and I had to fill in a form and send it to the finance dept to lodge it and create the account. Check that the chemical is stocked in Aus for faster shipping as sometimes it's located somewhere else in the world. The team were very helpful when our chemical got lost, they sent another very quickly.
Sigma can be a real pain to order through and customer service/follow up can be sketchy at times - big turn over of area reps I think. We try and buy all our Sigma stuff through our other suppliers. They can source for you and do the hard work dealing with Sigma. You'll get no favors on price though.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Think I would be giving the teacher a list of chemicals that you actually have - only buy new things in if they are going to be used regularly.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Wondering how this prac request went and did you make methyl orange? It is good to make analytical reagents/indicators. I have a great book which has recipes for universal indicators, however I would google the chemical's safety, before purchasing. If necessary I would look for an alternative prac, once the teacher gives you the criteria.
elaruu

Post by elaruu »

mtg wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 10:08 Wondering how this prac request went and did you make methyl orange? It is good to make analytical reagents/indicators. I have a great book which has recipes for universal indicators, however I would google the chemical's safety, before purchasing. If necessary I would look for an alternative prac, once the teacher gives you the criteria.
No, they didn't end up doing it. The teacher just moved on and it was never mentioned again......And I am no longer at that school.